PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 Touchpad Unresponsive.

ryguy417
Jan 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
Alright, for the last few weeks, the touchpad on my PowerBook has been acting real screwy. I think it is the "static electricity" problem that others have referred to (i.e. whenever I wake the computer from sleep and at diifferent points later on, it takes a while to respond correctly). I told Apple the problem and they have requested that I mail the PowerBook into them.

My warranty expires on the first of February. I sort of need my laptop, but I could part with it for a while. If it is the static electricity problem, I'm not sure if Apple will fix it. Should I send the PowerBook in? Have other people had this problem and, if so, did Apple fix it? Thanks for the advice.

Stampyhead
Jan 4, 2006, 04:43 PM
Is there a thread on MR about this static electricity problem? I've been having the same problem with my 17 in Powerbook, but I had never seen any mention of similar issues here. If Apple is willing to fix it I say let them. I find it incredibly annoying when I have to wait 30-45 seconds for my trackpad to decide it wants to respond to me.

Spectrum
Jan 4, 2006, 04:50 PM
This is a long shot, as you seem to be suffering more severe pain than me, but occasionally on my HD 15" the trackpad doesn't respond for a second after I close down windows or apps or whatever. I've now turned OFF "Ignore accidental trackpad input" in trackpad prefs, and I have yet (fingers crossed) to experience the problem.

Good luck

ryguy417
Jan 4, 2006, 05:51 PM
Sorry, I should have explained myself a bit better. The problem is reported in the Apple "Discussions" section on the support website (don't have a link, just do a search at discussions.apple.com). Two fixes have been suggested over there: 1) Hold your palm over the touchpad or touch it with a metal wire or 2) Reset the PRAM (of course, the constant solution). The "hold your palm over the touchpad" solution works, but it doesn't cure the problem. I've reset my PRAM and have come accross no permanent solution.