Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReadyPlayer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Hi Macrumors,

I recently got a Dualshock 4 and I have gotten the controller to work over USB with Joystick Mapper on my new 2013 Macbook Pro 15" Retina. I was wondering how I could get the touchpad to work for mouse movement? A friend told me it is possible though some terminal commands, but I haven't been able to find them online. I need some help. Also do any of you that use Joystick Mapper know how to get the Dualshock 4 to work over bluetooth? Can the audio jack be used to direct sound to the headphones over Bluetooth? Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

kevinh456

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
The touchpad, rumble, led control, and gyros are not supported by Mac OS X by default. A driver needs to be written (they exist for windows and linux, but since the mac supports the gamepad so well "out of the box" no one bothered to write one). I just got a DualShock 4 and I actually do want those features so I started a driver here: https://github.com/khallmark/ds4mac

Maybe someone else will want to help me out.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
The touchpad, rumble, led control, and gyros are not supported by Mac OS X by default. A driver needs to be written (they exist for windows and linux, but since the mac supports the gamepad so well "out of the box" no one bothered to write one). I just got a DualShock 4 and I actually do want those features so I started a driver here: https://github.com/khallmark/ds4mac

Maybe someone else will want to help me out.

Why do you need a kext for this instead of using BT HID?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Why do you need a kext for this instead of using BT HID?

We looked into this when we first got the PS4 supported in all our games.

The problem is this: the PS 4 reports itself as a real HID device, which is why we get driver support for it more or less out of the box (same for the PS 3).
The issue here is that they do not report HID rumble support. The OS X ForceFeedback framework reports that the driver doesn't handle it, so we stop there.

We attempted to open a connection to the USB device directly (as we do for the Xbox pads), so we could talk to the USB IRQ output port, but that fails with an error about it already being open, even if we try to do it before the HID Manager is initialized.

The HID Manager has some APIs to send a raw HID report to the device. Attempting to do this results in a silent failure. The call succeeds, but no rumble.

We figured it was unlikely to be fixed without some serious investigation since then it's been sat on the "if we have time" to-do list. I suspect this is why a KEXT is being used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.