Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
I recently updated my ATV 3 to the latest firmware. Ever since streaming movies from my iTunes on my laptop has been slow. Movies always stopping and buffering. Even with home sharing turned on sometimes it won't connect to my laptop and read my library. I have to constantly restart the ATV. I've checked my internet and the speed is fine. I've reinstalled iTunes on my laptop and reset the ATV to factory settings. Same problem. Never had any issues before I updated. Anyone else having problems?

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I recently updated my ATV 3 to the latest firmware. Ever since streaming movies from my iTunes on my laptop has been slow. Movies always stopping and buffering. Even with home sharing turned on sometimes it won't connect to my laptop and read my library. I have to constantly restart the ATV. I've checked my internet and the speed is fine. I've reinstalled iTunes on my laptop and reset the ATV to factory settings. Same problem. Never had any issues before I updated. Anyone else having problems?

Your internet speed really does not affect streaming from your laptop. before we can give you an answer, can you tell us more about your setup?

what laptop are you using
where is the content stored(local disk, external drive or NAS)
how is your laptop connected to your network(wired or wifi)
How is your ATV connected (wired or wifi)
what network hardware are you using(router, switches etc)
Are you running the latest iTunes version

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
Apple TV problems since update

Your internet speed really does not affect streaming from your laptop. before we can give you an answer, can you tell us more about your setup?

what laptop are you using

where is the content stored(local disk, external drive or NAS)

how is your laptop connected to your network(wired or wifi)

How is your ATV connected (wired or wifi)

what network hardware are you using(router, switches etc)

Are you running the latest iTunes version

My laptop is a little older since I only use it for streaming purposes.

Sony vaio VPCEE23FX, Win 7, AMd Athalon II P320, Dual core 2.10 Ghz, 5 gb ram.

Netgear N600 WNDR3400V3 wireless router.

Westell 6100H ADSL modem (stock from provider).

Verbatim USB1TB external hard
drive.

iTunes is updated.

Laptop is connected wirelessly. ATV hard wired.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I had similar problems. It could be the latest firmware. I downgraded the firmware on my Apple TV to 5.3 and that solved my problem.

ImacOP

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
How did you downgrade?

Was having issues when I turned on my apple tv today, so i updated and now nothing is working.

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
Connect the laptop by ethernet and see if that helps.

I have yet to try this as my laptops Ethernet port is missing a driver. I've done searches on Sony and everywhere else and cannot seem to fond it. I'm going to do a factory restore today and I'll post results if it fixes the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.