PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Mice and Keyboards


D0ct0rteeth
Jan 8, 2003, 01:30 PM
With the recent expo over and apple obviously embracing bluetooth... can a wireless keyboard and mouse be far behind?

I see microsoft and logitec have released their own models, their ugly and I wouldnt buy them.. but apple will obviously follow with their own soon.

anyone hear anything?

-doc

iJon
Jan 8, 2003, 03:02 PM
i have a question too. Could the reason apple couldnt release bluetooth keyboards and mice be beacuse airport ran on the same frequency. Now that apple has adopter 802.11g, could bluetooth mice and keyboards be possible because they are on a different frequency. could someone explain if this is possibly why they were holding back.

iJon

Bear
Jan 8, 2003, 03:15 PM
Bluetooth, 802.11b and 802.11g all run on the same frequency - that being 2.4GHz.

While I see the advantage of a wireless mouse, that being no cable to drag around as you move the mouse. I see less advantage to a wireless keyboard unless you keep the keyboard on your lap.

I do like having the availability of a USB port right at my fingertips so to speak. And I keep my keyboard on the desk, so a keyboard cable doesn't bother me really.

Also, you run into the problem of how many computers are in a small area. Will that many bluetooth keyboards and mice work well together.

And there is the issue with hospitals that can't have "radio broadcasts" due to some of the electronics in use. Bluetooth keyboards and mice (if offered) should be an option, not the default.

Of course there is the issue of how do you set up a bluetooth mouse and keyboard without a wired set to permit access? I think each bluetooth device has to be registered with the system.

And of course the power issue? Do you keep changing batteries on the mouse and keyboard? Get 2 sets of rechargables and keep one in the charger at all times?

I'll be sticking with wired keyboards and mice for a long while yet.

Over Achiever
Jan 8, 2003, 06:36 PM
When did Logitech release bluetooth keyboard/mouse solutions?

D0ct0rteeth
Jan 9, 2003, 12:06 PM
This is one sexy mouse.

http://kensington.com/html/1510.html

Anyone used it yet?

-Doc

NicoMan
Jan 9, 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i have a question too. Could the reason apple couldnt release bluetooth keyboards and mice be beacuse airport ran on the same frequency. Now that apple has adopter 802.11g, could bluetooth mice and keyboards be possible because they are on a different frequency. could someone explain if this is possibly why they were holding back.

iJon
One of the reasons why Apple (and a few other manufacturers) have chosen 802.11g for their 2nd generation wireless equipment is that it is running at exactly the same frequency as 802.11b (as opposed to 802.11a that runs in a different spectrum). Some of the wireless routers will only have to be upgraded by software to 802.11g, if I remember correctly (...). So basically switching to 802.11g doesn't solve the interference problems.
That being said, a system set up properly can be free of interferences. I believe that on Wi-Fi you can theoretically choose the channel on which your wireless network runs (at least on my Alcatel Speedtouch 570 I can), but I do not remember if this is possible on Airport.

My 2 cents.

NicoMan

NicoMan
Jan 9, 2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Bear
I think each bluetooth device has to be registered with the system.

And of course the power issue?
Well to be able to pair each device with your computer, first you have to make it discoverable by other bluetooth equipment. Then once the other device (your Mac for example) has scanned the airs for devices, found yours and attempted to connect to it, there is an authentication procedure (so that not everyone can connect to your bluetooth phone or whatever without your approval) that takes place, that basically means that both device have to key in the same numerical 'password'. The question is therefore how would you pair a mouse: how do you go through all that procedure... beats me. I wonder how Microsoft got around this one.

As for power there are already very elegant recharging solutions for wireless mice (I'm thinking Kensington or Logitech) and I suppose something similar could be adapted to keyboards (probably exist already). If you are a hypergeek and work(play?) on your comp several days in a row without interruption, the batteries would probably go flat, but then again you too.:D

Here you go.

NicoMan

redAPPLE
Jan 9, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by NicoMan


That being said, a system set up properly can be free of interferences. I believe that on Wi-Fi you can theoretically choose the channel on which your wireless network runs (at least on my Alcatel Speedtouch 570 I can), but I do not remember if this is possible on Airport.

My 2 cents.

NicoMan

U can choose the preferred channel on the Airport.

idkew
Jan 9, 2003, 02:58 PM
Well, as a portable user, bluetooth is a great idea. No more fiddling for the usb port on the back. Jost open the lid, say ok to the registry prompt or whatever and you are done.

FattyMembrane
Jan 9, 2003, 03:19 PM
for many people (and i include myself) there just is'nt any point to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse. any work i do on the computer, i do right in front of it, so having a wireless system to span all 6 inches of space between my peripherals and computer would be useless (and it just seems wrong to have a mouse with batteries). macally is introducing a very nice looking wireless keyboard and mouse at about the same price (a little more) than the apple pro board/mouse. it seems like developing these things would be a wasted effort on apple's part, as there are far more interesting things that can be done with bt.

iJon
Jan 9, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by NicoMan

One of the reasons why Apple (and a few other manufacturers) have chosen 802.11g for their 2nd generation wireless equipment is that it is running at exactly the same frequency as 802.11b (as opposed to 802.11a that runs in a different spectrum). Some of the wireless routers will only have to be upgraded by software to 802.11g, if I remember correctly (...). So basically switching to 802.11g doesn't solve the interference problems.
That being said, a system set up properly can be free of interferences. I believe that on Wi-Fi you can theoretically choose the channel on which your wireless network runs (at least on my Alcatel Speedtouch 570 I can), but I do not remember if this is possible on Airport.

My 2 cents.

NicoMan
thanks ma, i got my abg's mixed up,lol

iJon

mmmdreg
Jan 11, 2003, 08:15 AM
I'd rather have a multi-button mouse with scroll wheel and all..anyone agree?

benixau
Jan 11, 2003, 08:36 AM
If apple released a bt kboard and mouse then you would probably find that they would do something like this:

kb is wired to USB. mouse is bluetooth with built-in Li-Pol battery like new 17" pbook.

the kb would have a little thingy off to each side with two connectors on it. you would upon finishing using your computer rest the top of your mouse in this tung and it would recharge alsong as the power to the PSU is on.

the mouse would have a little extensiion out the front that would enable this. it apple wanted they could make these the aerial for the mouse and reciever for the kb.

it would be neat. either that or apple would use a proprietry port for it that would supply enough power to the mouse.


-->> really though i would like to see a scroll thing on all mice like the 10/20GB ipod wheel