PDA

View Full Version : I've been offered a segment for my app on AppWatch by NewsWatch. Is it a scam?

Doju
Feb 19, 2014, 12:41 PM
I was quite flattered when I received an email the other day from NewsWatch (http://newswatchtv.com), apparently a company that does interviews and among other things, app reviews on a segment called AppWatch (http://www.newswatchtv.com/appwatch.html)). They came across my app Syllable (http://syllableapp.com) and wanted to do a segment, which would air on national TV and apparently to 100 million viewers.

Well that sounds incredible. I'd be stupid to pass up such an opportunity, right?

I talked on the phone with them today, and they went over everything and mentioned I'd be set up with a producer and they'd interview me about my app, and I'd need to sign a contract.

The only thing that shocked me though, is they said they'd need $3,500 for production costs.

That kinda shocked me. It's a lot of money, but to be shown on national TV to 100 million people, that would likely pay for itself in revenue, right?

What should I do? I'm a very cautious person, and $3,500 is a lot of money to me, so by no means do I want to throw it away. How do I make sure this is worthwhile, and above all, that I don't get scammed? Is asking for that money normal?

soch
Feb 20, 2014, 01:21 AM
We were also contacted by them. I am not sure how many viewers watch this. But still no TV channel will ask you money to feature you on their show.

Save your money and spend it wisely on other marketing channels.

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 01:28 AM
$3,500?! Productions costs?! I'm almost sure it's a scam. They're hoping that the promise of reaching millions will temp you enough to send them the money. I'd be willing to bet that, after you send them the money, you never hear from them again. I was always under the assumption that commercials/advertising went toward production costs.

Jessica Lares
Feb 20, 2014, 02:17 AM
You ever heard of paid programming? You know, companies who pay a channel to broadcast their stuff on certain times of the day when very little people watch TV? These guys take advantage of that. They're charging you for those five minutes of airtime.

It's a legitimate offer, but it is not at all worth it. You're going to pay for something that will most likely air at like 4 in the morning to absolutely no one.

And yes, they've probably contracted hundreds of developers with this same offer.

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 02:37 AM
You ever heard of paid programming? You know, companies who pay a channel to broadcast their stuff on certain times of the day when very little people watch TV? These guys take advantage of that. They're charging you for those five minutes of airtime.

It's a legitimate offer, but it is not at all worth it. You're going to pay for something that will most likely air at like 4 in the morning to absolutely no one.

And yes, they've probably contracted hundreds of developers with this same offer.

The reasons I doubt this:

I would think the Newswatch is large enough that they wouldn't have to go the paid programming route
I would think that Newswatch is smart enough to know that almost nobody is awake at the times that paid programming airs so they won't waste their resources on it

Sounds like an imposter company to me.

Just my $0.02

Rudy69
May 22, 2014, 11:00 PM
According to their own press releases they air at 6am on History and 7am on Bio....once a month.... to be honest i wouldn't be surprised if the show is paid advertisement.