Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I thought I better mention it since I have until now bought quite a few films from the iTunes store but I won't any more. Some years back (2009) I bought a copy of Jimmy Neutron for my son and that was fine. Recently we were on holiday and since I had my iPad and he wanted to watch the film and I saw it was available via iCloud I selected it and started the film. The colours were all inverted as you can see in the second image. I didn't think much of this because the copy I had in iTunes was fine (first image) but I thought I would investigate further and download a fresh copy and compare. Indeed, the new copy had inverted colours and not just on my iPad, but on my iPhone, MacBook Air, AppleTV and Windows 7 PC. Problem must be the file yes? Not according to iTunes support. I had the colours set wrong on my TV. I sent them screenshots and explained that the old file was fine but it kept going back and forwards with them constantly saying I had done something wrong but how could it affect all my devices, and why just this one film? Everything else I had bought played fine, but not this?

Long story short, they couldn't solve the problem, wouldn't put me in touch with engineering to try and work it through and simply offered me a refund which I took. However, I also said I won't be buying any more films from iTunes because I can't simply have the thing stop working like this. DRM is a pain and the fact that I can't play the film I paid for is exactly why DRM is evil. iTunes support being completely useless is just the icing on the cake. I'll just stick to ripping DVDs and Blu rays to populate my iTunes library. The addition of AirVideo HD lets me stream the films anywhere so I get the benefits of iCloud without the restrictions. It is a shame though as I did find it convenient to buy films from iTunes especially some of the more esoteric stuff but if I can't trust the films to play in the future then it isn't a purchase, just a rental.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.PNG
    IMG_0120.PNG
    304.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0121.PNG
    IMG_0121.PNG
    306.9 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.