Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
iOS 6 event was pathetic. All they did was introduce Maps and passbook. Passbook is hardly used and Maps took over a year to correct.

I'm sure Scott is enjoying his millions.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
iOS 6 event was pathetic. All they did was introduce Maps and passbook. Passbook is hardly used and Maps took over a year to correct.

I'm sure Scott is enjoying his millions.

I hardly use Maps but use passbook weekly for my flight boarding passes.

Reactions: cmichaelb

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Scott Forstall wasn't all bad. He did help create an incredibly successful mobile platform.

iOS 6 did bring some well warranted advancements in usability, as well as privacy features. At least it didn't require having to relearn muscle memory to slow yourself down because of all the massive delays everywhere. ;)

Sure people will complain about some green felt in the Game Center, but Mr. Ive is all for iOS devices looking like a CRT television when they turn off... :rolleyes:

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Ios 6 was a disappointment.ios 7 is light years better.I mean we had to wait this long for control center?Forstall had to go.He was holding the OS back.

Reactions: cmichaelb

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ios 6 was a disappointment.ios 7 is light years better.I mean we had to wait this long for control center?Forstall had to go.He was holding the OS back.
Why/how was it a disappointment? That it wasn't a redesign or that it actually made things horrible and bad and even worse than before?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Why/how was it a disappointment? That it wasn't a redesign or that it actually made things horrible and bad and even worse than before?

The removal of stock YouTube and Maps (iOS 5) upset many people. They also complained that is was stale. Many also think iOS 7 was too extreme of a reaction.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The removal of stock YouTube and Maps (iOS 5) upset many people. They also complained that is was stale. Many also think iOS 7 was too extreme of a reaction.
The removal of those apps was going to come with or without iOS 6 realistically speaking so that's not really iOS 6 specific even though it happened at the same time basically.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I hardly use Maps but use passbook weekly for my flight boarding passes.

i use passbook for starbucks but the entire list of passbook supported apps after a year is still a handful. its basically not been widely adopted by developers.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Its also possible that Jobs preferred skeuomorphism and Forestall was simply incharge of carrying out his instructions... it got the approval from Jobs.
It's unfair to blame one person based on old videos.. I am sure even Win 3.1 and 98 were considered revolutionary at that time, but if you compare to today's OS, now it looks rudimentary.
Initially I didn't upgrade because ios7 looked like splashing too much color but after using it for a day, I wondered what were they thinking before while putting felt and linen background. Guess that's how new designs evolve.

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013

It didn't make things worse.I just think they were being too conservative.ios 6 was still a great OS.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Sure people will complain about some green felt in the Game Center

O please! It wasn't just the game centre (which I have hardly used) but his skeuomorphism gone bad was all over the place! I was ready to move to a different OS had they not made the changes they did.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Looking back now, having used iOS 7 for a good almost 8 months, iOS 6 seems as archaic as OS 9 vs OS X. Quite strange really, the classic design was with us for 6 years and I never realised how dated it looked until I got my hands on iOS 7.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
this rewriting of history and blaming everything on forstall is amazing. smacks of insecurity

the shredder animation was dreadful but parallax serves as much purpose.

im sure forstall was smart enough and notice that windows and google and others were going for a flatter look, copy that and being dead last on that merry go round

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

the map app was very beautiful

really i am very Sad

Huh? The maps he is demonstrating look awful. Apple Maps is one thing that has improved the most since the iOS 6 introduction. They look so much better in iOS 7.

And those old iOS 6 gradient navigation bars just look so old fashioned. They dominate the screen and distract from the content.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
O please! It wasn't just the game centre (which I have hardly used) but his skeuomorphism gone bad was all over the place! I was ready to move to a different OS had they not made the changes they did.

And what of the parallax effect? It is actually very tricky because it goes against what you would expect to see from the "layers". If anything, the icons should move in the opposite direction (towards the edge that remains closer to you) to maintain perspective. In other words, having the icons move to the right when you tilt your phone to the right is backwards... If they moved left, they would appear to remain in line with the background.

Anyways, say what you will of Forstall. At least his notifications didn't go on a huge spiel about the weather without telling you the temperature, or going on about your events without telling you anything about them ;)

If it weren't for his thoughts and designs, iOS might not have caught on as well as it did.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
And what of the parallax effect? It is actually very tricky because it goes against what you would expect to see from the "layers". If anything, the icons should move in the opposite direction (towards the edge that remains closer to you) to maintain perspective. In other words, having the icons move to the right when you tilt your phone to the right is backwards... If they moved left, they would appear to remain in line with the background.

Anyways, say what you will of Forstall. At least his notifications didn't go on a huge spiel about the weather without telling you the temperature, or going on about your events without telling you anything about them ;)

If it weren't for his thoughts and designs, iOS might not have caught on as well as it did.

Parallax effect could be a gimmick, I agree. I don't mind it but I realise there is many people who dislike it and guess what? There is 1 option to disable it. With previous iOS versions I had no option to disable the leather stitching madness.

Anyways, I do appreciate what he have done for iOS, I really do. I was just getting tired of the skeuomorphism stuff on the last few years. It did make a lot of sense on the first few versions as multitouch was something new for people. But time for a change on iOS had arrived and passed while ago.

mohammed-eg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
Huh? The maps he is demonstrating look awful. Apple Maps is one thing that has improved the most since the iOS 6 introduction. They look so much better in iOS 7.

And those old iOS 6 gradient navigation bars just look so old fashioned. They dominate the screen and distract from the content.

i mean the interface design not the internal data

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
And you think that then next 6 won't be just like iOS 7? Get a grip.

You mean the fallowing 6 versions of future iOS? Perhaps they will! iOS7 style is the new direction Apple is heading with it's iOS and I personally like it.

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If you look carefully, iOS 6 suggests a redesign in a way similar to Mavericks, some things were toned down and removed. I think there may have been a redesign on the way anyway. Like the dialer. The iOS 6 weather app uses a font closer to iOS 7 than the previous one.
Weather-600x450.png

It's questionable that Forstall would have keep the design the same.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

The pass delete animation is a perfect example. Awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.