Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Did a search but no luck. It always wonders me and I just want to know if it's correct. :confused:

Are the app update data size in additional of the original app? or it just replaces the original app data size?

For example, FB app is 10MB (just an example) and we have an update today at the App Store and it's showing 15MB. Is it in additional 15MB or just 5MB (15 minus 10)?

Can someone please clarify? Thanks.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Did a search but no luck. It always wonders me and I just want to know if it's correct. :confused:

Are the app update data size in additional of the original app? or it just replaces the original app data size?

For example, FB app is 10MB (just an example) and we have an update today at the App Store and it's showing 15MB. Is it in additional 15MB or just 5MB (15 minus 10)?

Facebook is 57.5 MB (per the Facebook app information in the App Store). The app update is just as it says. If it's 15 MB, it's 15MB.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Facebook is 57.5 MB (per the Facebook app information in the App Store). The app update is just as it says. If it's 15 MB, it's 15MB.
Installed I believe Facebook is around 100 MB. Updates are not necessarily something that's on top of that simply by adding the update size to the app size, but they certainly can change the app size in some way.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I believe it's the overall size of the app. This is why I rarely update large (1GB+) apps. I regularly run my iOS devices with only 400-700MB of free space. Infinity Blade for example may have a minor update (let's say 20MB) but it requires the full 1GB plus some extra room to shift things around, so maybe 1.5GB, in order to update.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

The entire app is downloaded and installed.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013

The App Store will attempt to download delta updates (I.e. Smaller size) if possible but it is up to the app developer to make sure it does that.

You can read a bit more about it here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1779/_index.html

----------

The entire app is downloaded and installed.

This is incorrect if you're on iOS 6 and above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.