Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I would love to see the two distinct lines.

A 11, 13, and 15 Macbook Air with the lower quality screen and bits, but long battery life 10-14 hours.

A 11, 13, and 15 Macbook Pro with the retina display and better bits, but with a shorter duration battery 7-10 hours.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014

A 11, 13, and 15 Macbook Air with the lower quality screen and bits, but long battery life 10-14 hours.

A 11, 13, and 15 Macbook Pro with the retina display and better bits, but with a shorter duration battery 7-10 hours.

I concur. :cool:

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013

So ridiculous. There is already too much overlap between the 13" Air and rMBP lines. Apple specializes in simplifying options for the consumer instead of presenting an overabundance of them like many other computer companies. Simplification has both its positive and negatives, but it has been their clear and overriding MO, and it has served them quite well up till this point in time.

There will very likely be less options, not more for the Broadwell refresh.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
what are you guys smoking??

I'm looking at all possible angles here before I spend an arm and a leg on a laptop that may only have a very short useful life. After all the AppleCare program only takes you to 3 yrs anything beyond that you're on the hook for the any repairs. Which in the higher end models can be very expensive to repair. The fact the battery is glued in also makes the repair in the higher pro line more expensive compared to the air. I haven't seen many complaints about the retina in the air. It seems to be a big issue with the MacBook pro in quite a few units. I'm not sure the 13" model would have a big enough screen for me. Also not everyone uses their laptop as a gaming system either. Just a few of the reasons I wondered about a larger version.

Last edited:

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Also is Apple could have simply allowed a USB access to flash drives or external drives that would have made using that device much simpler as other manufactures have done. But I suppose that wouldn't be goal oriented.
By the way have you seen the front page that shows a larger screened Ipad using Maverick software (just in concept of course).

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
So ridiculous. There is already too much overlap between the 13" Air and rMBP lines. Apple specializes in simplifying options for the consumer instead of presenting an overabundance of them like many other computer companies. Simplification has both its positive and negatives, but it has been their clear and overriding MO, and it has served them quite well up till this point in time.

There will very likely be less options, not more for the Broadwell refresh.

Said that's what I wanted, not what would happen. All the words matter.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
I'm looking at all possible angles here before I spend an arm and a leg on a laptop that may only have a very short useful life. After all the AppleCare program only takes you to 3 yrs anything beyond that you're on the hook for the any repairs. Which in the higher end models can be very expensive to repair. The fact the battery is glued in also makes the repair in the higher pro line more expensive compared to the air. I haven't seen many complaints about the retina in the air. It seems to be a big issue with the MacBook pro in quite a few units. I'm not sure the 13" model would have a big enough screen for me. Also not everyone uses their laptop as a gaming system either. Just a few of the reasons I wondered about a larger version.

Any Haswell Air or rMBP that you get should have much more than just a 'short useful life'. Neither machine is meant to be user repairable, although the Air is a bit more accessible.

The reason you haven't seen many complaints regarding the retina in the Air is probably because it doesn't exist. The Air has a high quality and nicely calibrated TN screen. Which makes it sort of the best of the worst in terms of current higher level laptop screens. Even the lower level 1080p screens on much cheaper windows notebooks are noticeably better, which is quite unfortunate as the rest of the Air is excellent.

If you aren't using your laptop for gaming, then the 13" rMBP or even Air for that matter should have plenty of power for you. OSX Mavericks specializes in dual-monitor setups, and a cheap, larger external monitor will always trump even the workspace that a 15" rMBP will offer.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If people are complaining about warpage and flex on the current Airs, I would think a 15 incher will require a new, stiffer casing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.