Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
So me and my friend both have iPhone 5 and we are both on the same network and plan. We also live in the UK.

She can't use the internet or get emails when she's outside, whereas I can.

In the settings on her phone it says "Cellular" and it gives a message which says "Could not activate cellular data".
However in my phone it says "Mobile" instead of the "Cellular" option she has.

Do you think this has anything to with it? Maybe she set her region wrong in the first place and it's giving her the error? And do you think we should try restoring her phone and setting it up properly?

All replies appreciated :)

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
Or you are on different iOS versions. Have your friend called her provider, and checked that the problem isn't on their end?

Have you compared all network settings?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
So me and my friend both have iPhone 5 and we are both on the same network and plan. We also live in the UK.

She can't use the internet or get emails when she's outside, whereas I can.

In the settings on her phone it says "Cellular" and it gives a message which says "Could not activate cellular data".
However in my phone it says "Mobile" instead of the "Cellular" option she has.

Do you think this has anything to with it? Maybe she set her region wrong in the first place and it's giving her the error? And do you think we should try restoring her phone and setting it up properly?

All replies appreciated :)

A restore is probably the best solution. It should say 'Mobile' not Cellular.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Or you are on different iOS versions. Have your friend called her provider, and checked that the problem isn't on their end?

Have you compared all network settings?

Running latest version of iOS - iOS 7.0.6 and have called EE and they said its fine on their end. They even 'refreshed' the settings, but no change.

----------

A restore is probably the best solution. It should say 'Mobile' not Cellular.

I thought so.
We will be giving a restore a try soon.
Thanks!

derbyshire2013

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
East Midlands
I sometimes had this when I had an iPhone 5 on (4G)EE.

Happened randomly. Before performing a full restore have you done the following?

To reset network settings (this will clear any saved WiFi information): Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

To change "Cellular" to "Mobile" again go to Settings>General>International>Language and change from English to British English.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.