Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I can't seem to get a clear answer on whether there are any printers out there (preferably one that can also fax) that don't require a computer to set up? Basically something you can bring home, set up and configure, and start printing directly from your iPad without having to use any computer at all to set up.

I have to ask this because the last time I got a printer that I thought would do this I still needed to plug it into a computer just to set it up on my wireless network. The person that needs this doesn't have a computer. She only has an iPad 2. I've not been able to find a clear answer about this.

Thanks.

-PN

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Yes , although I don't have one, my wireless Cannon was setup without a computer. It has a small screen on top that allowed me to view networks, select one, enter password and then print. At the time I had not considered needing iPrint so I didn't look for the feature. So, bottom line is I can't give you specific brands and models but I am sure they are out there.

Big Ron

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
United Kingdom
My Canon Pixma 640 doesn't require a pC to connect to a wireless network.

ugcop describes the process perfectly.

I print to it using an Ipad wireless printing app.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I just purchased the Epson XP-410 myself. It doesn't fax either but I like it a lot so far. My iPad and iPhone found it instantly and I didn't need to do any fiddling to get it to work. I did the wireless setup via the printer and all our computers and devices see it on the network, no problem. Installed the software on my MBP and it works great.

Hopefully this printer will last us longer than our last one did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.