PDA

View Full Version : The Year of PC Migration to Mac?

voicegy
Jan 28, 2002, 02:07 AM
Throughout my brief stay here (I only joined about a week before Macworld, and now I'm addicted to this site, mainly because of the humor, knowledge and maturity of the majority of posters, not to mention the clean interface);) I have noticed something.

I have seen PeeCee users post here saying that they're seriously considering going Apple, and have asked our opinions.

I have read posters claiming that their PeeCee friends have "had it" with all things Wintel and are going Apple.

Heck, I've even posted a story here that we're all familiar with by now regarding the editor of a certain on-line magazine who is giving up his Windoze World for the Apple life for a month on a "test drive."

Has the combination of Apple stores, the new iMac, all the iFill-In-The-Blank software, the iPod, and publicity (Time Magazine, etc.) and, of course, OS X, done something that none of us expected?

Besides making us, the already-converted, happy, has all of the above (or maybe just one or two "key" items) finally raised the attention of the Klingon Empire (Dark Side, Windoze Users, what-have-you) from mere "sniggling at our silly toys" to saying "hey, my next (or first) computer is going to be an Apple."?

In other words, is this going to be the year where we see actual migration from PC users to the Apple platform in numbers that could actually be counted?

I have a strange feeling about it...and, gathered from the slight evidence I've seen so far (and that's been pretty limited) I feel that the answser could very possibly be Yes.

Would any of you like to share your thoughts, or share a story where you KNOW of a formerly committed PeeCee user who is "going Apple"?

Interesting times ahead for the Mothership, eh what? Or am I just full of baloney?

arn
Jan 28, 2002, 02:28 AM
I've heard more anecdotal stories about PC users switching/having switched or wanting to switch in the past 6 months or so than I think i've ever heard in my entire time of owning a Mac. (since the Mac IIsi - 1992)

arn

Quark
Jan 28, 2002, 02:53 AM
I'm a database developer and have been working in the WinPC world for a very long time.

I have been looking for an alternate OS for the past five years. I was hoping to find one that will work on my existing hardware. That's one of the reasons I didn't consider the older Mac OS.

Linux wasn't quite right for what I wanted and BeOS dissappeared too soon.

Then I saw SJ showing the world for the first time the new OS X. This was way before it was ever released. With Unix at the heart of it, it got my attention, then he said that OpenGL, Java, and the Quartz engine were all built-in.... WOW!

I watched closely to see how this evolved and I LOVED what I have seen over the past two years.

There was actually 2 reasons that I finally bought the new iMac:
1) I saw the iPod and wanted it, badly, so I was looking for a good excuse to get one
2) the new iMac with the price and power gave me that excuse, along with all the wonderful i-Software titles that come with it.

BTW, I own alot of Apple stock - I bought it right after the OS X announcement.

If Apple continues its current trend of Consumer Solutions oriented development that exceeds what is offered by the competition, they can't lose and will gain market share.

:D

krossfyter
Jan 28, 2002, 03:12 AM
Good post voicegy.

I work in a art/graphic design lab full of the new quicksilvers in the middle of a University dominated by pc/windows. Every time someone from the darkside goes into the lab they are amazed and in awe. I swear I have heard numerous times "Wow these are macs, I want one". I tell them that not only do they look visually pleasing but that the operating system (OS X) is the best out there.

caipirina
Jan 28, 2002, 04:17 AM
i "turned" in 10/2000, buying a 466 DVD ibook .. since then i have bought 4 macs in total (sold one) .. after being with the darkside all those other years ..

show me a PC user who did that :)

can't wait to get my desklamp aka new iMac

Kid Red
Jan 28, 2002, 04:25 AM
Wow, very cool to see all the converts.

Welcome to Mac Land!!

groov'
Jan 28, 2002, 06:10 AM
Untill 10 years ago the only thing I used a computer for was typing my articles and (still) printing them to send them to the editors.

So on my XT it was all DOS and wordperfect. One day I visited a girlfriend in her office where she worked as a graphic designer. She had a funny looking machine and showed me some stuff in Photoshop (2,3?). Wow! Next day I bought a Performa 630, which was DOS compatible (with Windows 3). After the first day I've never used the DOS part again. I also converted from 100% journalism to 90% design work and still 10 % journalism.

Now I'm waiting for my new G5.

Beej
Jan 28, 2002, 06:53 AM
Well I've never owned a PC in my life. I've grown up with Macs, and the only time I use PCs is when I have to use Linux at Uni.

But I have managed to convert several PC users in the years, and over the last little while Apple has been gaining a lot more public acceptance. People used to say, "Apple? Do they still exist?" And now they say, "Oh yeah, those [insert name of any Apple product here] are cool. They're supposed to be fast, too..."

Everyone loves their Mac, few even like their PC.

pcdoctor
Jan 28, 2002, 07:25 AM
I'm a pc user and have been for many years.
I admit that I've always been fascinated by the mac.
OSX has me fascinated even more.
I would love to get a powermac but $1600+ is too much for me!
I wish Apple would port OSX to AMD/Intel.
I have seen the Darwin port to Intel but supposedly it only support older Intel motherboards.
I might try Mandrake Linux.
I can tell you this, I probably won't buy another Windows OS because of Product Activation and .net.
I heard that Windows in 2005 and the next version of Office will run off of the Internet and that user will have to pay a monthly or yearly fee to use it.
I'll either run Linux or maybe break down and buy a mac.
I wish I could build my own mac.
Now I would love that!

Macmaniac
Jan 28, 2002, 08:30 AM
If office chrages a fee in 2005, then WIntel people will rush to mac. It would be the "Great Migration" from the darkside. If they charge for office then they will be BIG BROTHER, and Apple will take over the world!

Not all who wander are lost.

pc_convert?
Jan 28, 2002, 08:46 AM
I hope voicegy is right. I'm a PC user at the moment but my next purchase is definitely going to a Mac.

I'm fed up with PC's, I know what I'm doing with them but they still go wrong and it's just easier to do complete re-install's every so often to clear all the crap from the system.

I'm trying to convince all my PC friends to Apple but they put off by the higher prices, still they all have alot of enthusiasm for Apple so who knows....?

kriminalPolizei
Jan 28, 2002, 09:29 AM
i've been a mac user for a long time. my first machine was an Mac SE and now i've just bought my 6th mac.

through all these years i saw at least 15 people switching to the mac (especially the last few years) and only one to the PC.

but the thing i never get is this price problem. there is hardly any difference when you compare the price/quality.
and when you would have used all the hours that you spended on keeping the wintel machine running on work...

few monyhs ago i read an article about the average time people spend behind their computers and the conclusion was that mac users work 20% faster than PC users...

eyelikeart
Jan 28, 2002, 09:38 AM
the first time I ever learned to do anything on a computer was on a peecee about 7 years ago...

however, I'm proud to say I've never owned one (and most likely won't) and have had 2 Macs since....

I think we're going to soon enough start seeing OS X loaded on peecees....it's bound to happen at some point...

I envision the ability to bring the 2 worlds together....and maybe even one day there will be an OS that can work in both worlds...

chicagdan
Jan 28, 2002, 09:58 AM
PC Doctor wrote:

>>I wish I could build my own mac.
Now I would love that!

Of course you can ... you just can't use state-of-the-art components. But if you're willing to start with an older logic board, buy a cheap G3 Beige or B/W and build from there. You can even overclock the chip if you're so inclined.

kriminalPolizei
Jan 28, 2002, 10:01 AM
i think when apple decides to make osX for PC's a lot of people will switch to beige, except for the real mac freaks...

but there are already for a long time rumours about osX for PC...

networkman
Jan 28, 2002, 01:36 PM
with the radical change in windows, with windows xp turning some pc people off, this is a good time for apple to get a few hundred thousand new users quick

and now with a dual 1 ghz g4, pc power users can buy something similar to their 2.2 ghz pentium 4s

of course we know that the dual g4 is a better machine

pc_convert?
Jan 28, 2002, 02:20 PM
I think we're going to soon enough start seeing OS X loaded on peecees....it's bound to happen at some point...

I don't think this will ever happen. Part of the seamlessness of Mac's is due to the fact that Apple control the hardware and the software. It's a lot harder to make an OS seamless if you don't control the hardware.

I could be wrong....

Gelfin
Jan 28, 2002, 02:28 PM
Oh, I'm a definite convert. In fact, I'm still paid to program on Wintel, but I've got my PBG4 on the desk right beside me the whole time, and an enormous poster of the new iMac I picked up at MWSF on the wall behind me.

I first bought a clamshell iBook because when I was shopping for a laptop I found that nothing Wintel could come close to the bang-to-buck ratio of the iBook. To people who've never used a Mac, the fervor of Mac users seems sort of like a creepy cult of some kind. ("It's just a computer for chrissakes.")

But the thing is, it's really easy to get sucked into "the cult" once you give a Mac an honest chance. It's like the first time you try on a pair of really expensive shoes and realize... holy crap... you're not just paying for a label -- these things are REALLY amazingly comfortable. Then you spend the rest of your life trying to convince the unenlightened that you're not just one of those people who wastes money on expensive shoes to try to impress people.

I hope that analogy makes sense. :)

eyelikeart
Jan 28, 2002, 02:38 PM
while u may have a point...

I still feel that integration is going to happen....at some point....

maybe not a joint venture by Apple & Microsoft.....but we will see OS X running on peecees.....

Backtothemac
Jan 28, 2002, 02:50 PM
Hey, I came back in December buying a new Flower Power iMac from small dog and tricking it out with 1GB of ram. The point that I make to PC people is that I don't care how many megahertz their system is, the architecture is flawed. Not only that, but assuming megahertz between a P4 and a G3 or G4 were equal, the mac is still faster, because you only need one program (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto) to do what you need to do, where as on the PC you need multiple applications to achieve one task, so the mac would still be faster.

Also, it doesn't matter how fast your system is if it is unstable. My little iMac has been chuggin along for over two months now with not one crash, even Virtual PC doesn't crash. In fact the only thing that ever does is IE 5.1. Go figure, leave it to Microsoft to crash on app on a Mac.

Anyway, spread the word, and lets convert the world one person at a time.

sparkleytone
Jan 28, 2002, 02:58 PM
who remembers my first post??

i am a complete convert. i just wish towers were cheaper because being able to build a PC saves alot of money. but whatever, ill only build them for my "friends" and my real ones will get Macs.

i love my iBook:p

pc_convert?
Jan 28, 2002, 03:11 PM
pcdoctor wrote
I wish I could build my own mac.

Just noticed a new PPC board here (http://www.mai.com) look under products > Teron CX and Teron PX. Both v.expensive, based on IBM's POP design from ages ago. I wonder if they will run OSX?

Could this mean Mac compatible clones...?

teiz
Jan 28, 2002, 03:14 PM
I use a Mac (G4 dp 500mhz, 1 gb RAM) and a PC (AMD Athlon 1400Mhz 512 Mb RAM). I work on a mac and play games and surf the internet on my pc. Why still the PC? Flash and shockwave suck on a mac, so viewing flash sites really isn't nice and even on my G4 games like Diablo2 are not so quick as on my former pc (P3, 550 Mhz, 128 MB RAM). A mac is okay to work on, but it sucks on the fun part...

teiz...

BTW, I couldn't miss one of them...

crassusad44
Jan 28, 2002, 03:15 PM
eyelikeart:
I belive you are wrong. Apple and SJ would never port OS X to Intel/AMD. Why? Look at pc_convert?s post. Apple controls the hardware and the software. That enables them to do something other companies can not do. Apple WANTS to be different. They want their users to have the ultimate computing experience. They will loose this advantage by porting their OS to another prosessor. Keep also in mind that porting OS X to Intel/AMD would mean that ALL Mac apps would have to be re-written. One can not simply change the prosessor. Its not possible, even for Apple. Another thing. If Apple let other companies build Macs, Apple would simply become a software supplier, much like Microsoft. And with a 5% market share, it would become impossible for Apple to survive, without money coming in form hardware sales. Apple IS different, and they WILL STAY different. That's why they are still around, and that's why they'll still be around in 10 years...

BTW, nice to see so many converts on this site. Welcome to the platform. Enjoy your stay! ;)

Kelesis
Jan 28, 2002, 03:40 PM
I'm not leaving PCs entirely, but I plan on using a Mac as my main computer for practically everything that I do. I have one of those spiffy high-end iMacs ordered. I've wanted to buy a Mac for quite some time now, and finally took the plunge after seeing the new iMac.

Once it comes in I'm going to demonstrate it to everyone else in the IT department (it's being delivered to my work address). After that it goes to my local tech college where one of the instructors wants to demonstrate it to a class of his. After that it goes to a friend's parent's house for a demo because they use to use Macs several years ago and want to see a new one.

All of this happens before I even get to enjoy it myself!

I will still keep a PC around, though it will likely only be for an occasional game that isn't available on the Mac. I very, very rarely play PC games, though.

rekras
Jan 28, 2002, 05:14 PM
I don't really want to see Macs get that popular. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good that more and more peole are switching to macs, and that market share is good for the company, but there's alot of downsides to be the most popular computer. This is just hypothetical, but with Apple current trend of innovation, quality, and relatively low prices is not to far fetched... What if 5-10 years from now Apple gains something like 60% market share making it the most popular computer maker, and making it's OS the most popular. We would be seeing alot of the plauges that Wintel users experience now. Viruses would be a common thing, and Apple with it's lineup of integrated hardware, software, and OS could face government suites, like the ones Microsoft is facing now. And most importantly we as mac users would loose our uniqueness of having a computer that is better looking, better quality, and better performing than our PC counterparts. I dunno about you guys but everyone on my block having a mac would make me feel like just another ordinary guy. It would be nice to see some more games coming to the mac though. I dunno, this is just my oppinion, but I'd like to see Apple's market share go up to like a comfortable 10% and stay there, and still be the only guy on the block with a mac that seperates me from the rest of the crowd using boring, crappy wintels. It's kinda like, if the whole countries got lamborghinis you wouldnt feel all that special having one anymore.

BTW- eyelikeart, shutup with that OSX coming to PCs crap it's never gonna happen, and it be the dumbest move EVER by Apple if they did that.

cleo
Jan 28, 2002, 05:43 PM
it looks as if i'm among the freshest batch of converts around here - although i'm sure i'm not the last. i've used windows machines forever, but i recently ordered a new imac (btw, i just spoke to a rep from the online apple store who said my machine would be shipping "mid-feb" - wtf?). anyway, i was extremely close (hesitantly so) to buying another pc when the imacs came out (as my two-year-old p2 just doesn't cut it anymore). but, alas, i have seen the light. after reading a couple of books on os x, all i can do is be grateful that the exterior design of the new imac was enough to catch my eye - the eye candy is great, but these are truly amazing machines.

today i helped an entirely computer illiterate friend begin to find her way around her brand new xp compac notebook. the system froze 3 times in two hours. it was hard not to gloat :)

burger011
Jan 28, 2002, 06:23 PM
I bought a new iMac in November.....and I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm thinking of donating this machine to get the new iMac. From the ease of use to the stability to the new gadgets (iPod) to the way th UI looks I'm very satisfied with "switching".

As for others, where I live there is a lot of buzz about the new iMac and iPod. People (wintel users) seem very excited about checking out what Apple has to offer.

This is a good time to but AAPL.

cb911
Apr 27, 2002, 06:52 AM
i've been a PC person for a long time and i'm finally getting one of the new TiBooks when they come out! i won't be able to ditch the PC though, unless they bring out 3DS MAX for the Mac. that's the only reason i'm keeping the PC, to run all of the PC only sofrware out there.