PDA

View Full Version : 5G iPod volume changes when phone rings

fozy
Jan 5, 2006, 03:37 PM
My 5G iPod lowers the volume automatically when calls are recceived on my Treo 650. Anyone else experience this? Is this a bluetooth function?

wasimyaqoob
Jan 5, 2006, 03:44 PM
I dont know, because iPods dont even have bluetooth.

fozy
Jan 5, 2006, 03:52 PM
I dont know, because iPods dont even have bluetooth.
That's my point, maybe they say that they don't or is there another method for signaling other personal appliances. I have often noticed strange sounds out of my television or car stereo right before the phone rings, is it bluetooth transmissions or something else?

aristobrat
Jan 5, 2006, 03:55 PM
The interference you hear on speakers before your GSM phone rings isn't BlueTooth, .. it's just a byproduct of your GSM phone either transmitting or receiving something.

fozy
Apr 3, 2006, 02:47 PM
The interference you hear on speakers before your GSM phone rings isn't BlueTooth, .. it's just a byproduct of your GSM phone either transmitting or receiving something.

I still think it's strange that the ipod is able to pick up this signal and alter the volume setting. Has anyone else noticed this?

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/14/ipod-with-video-no-likey-cellphones/) talked about something similar awhile ago.

biohazard6969
Apr 3, 2006, 03:00 PM
with my RAZR V3, whenever there is a text or call coming in, about 10 seconds before the phone rings, any speakers that are near the phone start clicking some random beat, sometimes it can be really loud too, its kinda funny acvtually

balamw
Apr 3, 2006, 03:10 PM
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/14/ipod-with-video-no-likey-cellphones/) talked about something similar awhile ago.
Discussed plenty here too: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=166491

Mine usually lowers the volume, but it sometimes goes the other way, which can be very annoying.

B

aristobrat
Apr 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for that thread -- very interesting.

I wonder if the GSM signal is affecting the iPods touchpad directly, or is creating a signal on the iPod's headset that is similiar to the signal that the iPod remote would use for "turn volume up" or "turn volume down"?

mikes63737
Apr 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
I have the same problem with my iPod mini, and like another poster said, it's from GSM. It happens with our computer speakers, stereo speakers, TV, radio, my dad's fire dept. pager... and more. It sounds kinda funny too.

Maybe that's some secret method designed by the GSM companies to keep kids from using cell phones at school under the desk in the comptuer labs. :)

balamw
Apr 3, 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for that thread -- very interesting.

I wonder if the GSM signal is affecting the iPods touchpad directly, or is creating a signal on the iPod's headset that is similiar to the signal that the iPod remote would use for "turn volume up" or "turn volume down"?
The general consensus appears to be that it's the new Apple designed click-wheel which replaced the one from Synaptics which is senstitve to the GSM signals, so it's like it sees the phone signal as a virtual finger on the wheel.

B

fozy
Apr 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
Wierd, can it manipulated?

The general consensus appears to be that it's the new Apple designed click-wheel which replaced the one from Synaptics which is senstitve to the GSM signals, so it's like it sees the phone signal as a virtual finger on the wheel.

B