Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
I'm looking to get a new audio interface for my Mac (Mini i7, SSD, 8GB) and to be future proof with regard to number of inputs (might occasionally record my band live or real drum sets) I figured I might as well spend the extra buck or two and go with the Pro 40.

It looks perfect for my needs. BUT - I saw a bunch of threads of people having issues with the drivers/firmware on that thing when connected to a Mac/Mavericks.

Now, I know that we need to take with a grain of salt what some-guy-on-the-internet has to say about things like that. Audio and user errors go hand in hand. Other stuff might be going on and so on. But some of it sounded credible, even including driver repair/update procedures that can only be accomplished with software that Focusrite support would email (!) to affected folks. That seems pretty odd for a potentially common (?) issue.

Any one here using that interface and what are your experiences?

Raventhornn

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Not using the SaffirePro 40 - am using the Scarlett 18i8; having said that, have over 10 hours recording on that, without issue.

Saw a lot of posts about people having issues with the Scarlett, however one of the fairly common items I saw was people who had upgraded to Maverick from a prior OSX version.

I had a clean rebuild of Maverick, and just let Maverick 'add' the USB driver default, so I didn't have a legacy driver.

So, I expect if you're going with a clean [meaning brand new mac mini] you'll not have any issue.

As for the Focusrite fix 'driver', as far as I have researched it actually forces a clean out of the USB driver and let's Maverick us it's normal default driver.

Hope that helps, and isn't just pointless ramble since it isn't the exact model you are looking at [8 mic inputs... wow... I thought I was crazy for my 4...]

Raventhornn

wingmanmac

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
norway
I´ve been using the same saffire pro 40, on mountain lion and mavericks, and it has worked flawless for me. Some say that the mix control is little confusing to set up and understand, but little readup and testing will sort everything out. There seem to be a beta out now for yosemite compatibility that i didn't test out yet.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I've used the Scarlett 18i8 and just recently upgraded to the 18i20. Both have been solid. If you really want to future proof, go the Scarlett 18i20 route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.