Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I have Herbert Schildt's book "C++ from the Ground up, 2004 edition". I have read it and I learned much, but I need to learn more. Some people I asked said that Herbert Schildt's books are total crap...

Anyway... Can anyone recommend me a good C++ book that is intended to the newbie and later it will include examples that will use advanced C++ programming techniques?

novicew

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2006
Hamburg
I am not familier with the book that you have mentioned. However I have bought another book from the same author. That helped me a lot as a newbie as it explains every step of the way. If you want more advance topics at a later stage this book may not help so much though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" is a necessary book for anyone. Of course, the various data structures and algorithms books for C++ are a good idea, too.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Soulstorm said:
I have Herbert Schildt's book "C++ from the Ground up, 2004 edition". I have read it and I learned much, but I need to learn more. Some people I asked said that Herbert Schildt's books are total crap...

Anyway... Can anyone recommend me a good C++ book that is intended to the newbie and later it will include examples that will use advanced C++ programming techniques?
C++ for the Absolute Beginner

That book is awesome, it taught me soooooo much I didn't know. One part it goes through well is the STD class for string iterations. I wish I could find the book, its a God-send.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
steelphantom said:
I'm currently reading Sam's C++ Primer Plus 5e and it seems to be very good so far. It's received a bunch of positive reviews on Amazon.

Yes, The Waite Group's Primer Plus series (5th edition? eek) has always been quite good. The first time I saw one was in the mid 1980s when the movement from Pascal to C was underway.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
slooksterPSV said:
C++ for the Absolute Beginner

That book is awesome, it taught me soooooo much I didn't know. One part it goes through well is the STD class for string iterations. I wish I could find the book, its a God-send.
Has anyone else read this book? It's good huh, for those whom have read it, let me go get some Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...104-1581171-7687939?n=507846&s=books&v=glance Ok I guess it was perfect for me, I learned so much. Read those reviews and let us know what you think about some of the books listed.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Soulstorm said:

Are you a newbie to programming, or you understand OOP already?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
superbovine said:
Are you a newbie to programming, or you understand OOP already?
I have finished the book. I am not new to the OOP programming. I understand it well.

irrªtiºnal

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
how come nobody has mentioned Stroustrup;s TCPPPL!!! that;s outrageous... don;t look further man.

my advice, not without little modesty is, buy a GOOD C book together with Stroustrup;s book

the problem now reduces to finding a good C book...

i would only recommend K&R C white book.

man, these are the real things, THE books by the creators/designers/original implementors of the languages themselves... so have fun

irrªtiºnal

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
further elaborating on TCPPPL, you MUST use this book. you WILL get annoyed, almost by definition, by the atypical flow that the author follows... but keep in mind this is the one book you need to understand, i assume you aim towards mastering (in not the language) the idea behind serious programming...

skip the first part, that really only makes it look like a very disorganized hints book. go straight to the second part. read chapters in order. use it while doing real projects that demand the techniques... i.e. implemente the concept of handle types, use templates, memory management, the STL, as specified in the book.

then got to Part IV and read, read, read... it;s like a novel. it brings an amazing insight to the real world of real programming.

never subestimate the authors that write about the thing they create themselves... believe me, there;s nobody better than they.

... oh yeah, the 3rd part is entirely referential...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.