PDA

View Full Version : My next G5 preformance upgrade

bzollinger
Jan 5, 2006, 10:54 PM
This is what I've been waiting for. http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200601/WD1500ADFD_1.html

Hard drives make a huge difference in speed for day to day use, opening programs and such. I know this first hand. Years ago I built a PC with a $300 SCSI controller and a 15,000 RPM Seagate SCSI hard drive. This drive still kicks the crap out of every EIDE, SATA, and most SCSI HDDs. My point is this new Raptor is almost as fast and can be easily put in my G5!!!:D

I'd like to see someone put two of these baby's in their G5 in a RAID 0 config!!! Watch this drive, it'll be on top for years for speed in the SATA world.

G5Unit
Jan 5, 2006, 11:06 PM
Yeh I've also been thinkin about an upgrade. 80GB on my PM G5 isn't cuttin it when I put together a big school video project(I'm down to 9 gigs right now) Maybe a nice 10,000 rpm 74 gig and a 300gb internal AND I have an old 80gb USB external right now, but it sucks.

atari1356
Jan 5, 2006, 11:22 PM
That article's an interesting read... the engineering that goes into making a modern hard drive is pretty amazing.

Best of all, the new Raptor scores very well (the best of the SATA drives) in World of Warcraft performance. :)

I'll take two please!

bzollinger
Jan 6, 2006, 12:17 AM
"That article's an interesting read... the engineering that goes into making a modern hard drive is pretty amazing."

It's good to see more substantial advances in HDD performance, seeings how the HDD is still a large bottleneck. Faster, faster, faster!!!!!!!