Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
California
Poque doesn't mince words with his impression of the public unveiling of Vista at the CES.

From the article: "If I seem to be laying on the "stolen from Apple" language a bit thick, you're darned right. Ordinarily, I'm careful about making accusations like this, because I know I'll get hammered by Apple bashers. But in this case, there's not a shred of doubt: most of the features Microsoft demonstrated last night were pure, unadulterated ripoffs from Mac OS X. I could hear actual whispers of recognition from the audience around me."

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I saw the CES keynote as well. Apart from the laughable appearance of Justin Timberlake, the whole keynote was quite a snoozefest.

The Vista demo looks amazingly close to Tiger, from the search pane on the top right hand corner to the blue Spotlight-like search icon. Such rip-offs coming from Microsoft.

'Redmond, start your photocopiers' seems to have stuck.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
VanNess said:
Pogue doesn't mince words with his impression of the public unveiling of Vista at the CES.

No surprise that the rich tradition of flagrantly ripping off Apple's ideas continues unabated, but David Pogue's voice is important since he has a highly visible platform in which to rail against Microsoft (for good reason).

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Applespider said:
Perhaps they took it as an instruction? :p

If nothing else, copying does eliminate the pressure of having to innovate. And as Carly Simon sang, "Nobody Does It Better" than MS.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Deepdale said:
No surprise that the rich tradition of flagrantly ripping off Apple's ideas continues unabated, but David Pogue's voice is important since he has a highly visible platform in which to rail against Microsoft (for good reason).

Highly visible? To who, tech-geeks?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Lacero said:
I saw the CES keynote as well. Apart from the laughable appearance of Justin Timberlake, the whole keynote was quite a snoozefest.

I didn't even get that far. I had to fast forward through Gate's preview of the "home of the future" and on to the product manager demoing Vista. I watched that for a bit, all I could think of was "what were they thinking?" They still think that stacking the windows on top of each other is the answer to Expose... but you can still only see all of one window at a time... whats the point?

Anyway, I remember thinking "that tab preview idea in IE7" was a good idea and then I fell asleep.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
DavidLeblond said:
I watched that for a bit, all I could think of was "what were they thinking?" They still think that stacking the windows on top of each other is the answer to Expose... but you can still only see all of one window at a time... whats the point?

Absolutely. The application-switching feature in Vista doesn't offer much of an improvement over previous versions of Windows. It'll no doubt help to see a preview of each window, but they look too small to be of much use, and it'll still take as many keystrokes/clicks as windows to access the last application, compared to a maximum of two with Exposé.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I liked some of the features - the tabbed browsing window in Explorer was pretty cool - being able to see all of the ACTUAL pages in the browser window (ala Expose') is pretty cool.

Being able to scroll over the bottom apps and get a screen shot of what is runnign in the app is pretty nice, too.

Gadgets sucked. They blew that one.

Some nice improvements two years late.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Lacero said:
...the whole keynote was quite a snoozefest.

Bill Gates spent about half the time going on and on about nothing. Some things were good, I liked the idea of viewing previews of tabs, others were blatent rip-offs, e.g. Spotlight, and they totally messed up their version of Dashboard by keeping it restricted to the side without dragging. It also looks like a really demanding OS and I think many computers would miss out on the recommended specs.

Oh and what was the point of previewing Flight Simulator? That thing had a terrible framerate, would've been better to leave it out.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
ghemphill said:
Only to anyone that reads the New York Times... Hmmm... one or two folks I guess...:)

Plus, he also contributes tech reports for CBS ...so add another 4-5 viewers.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
BlizzardBomb said:
Oh and what was the point of previewing Flight Simulator? That thing had a terrible framerate, would've been better to leave it out.

Yeah, I don't know who's idea it was to show Flight Simulator, but it wasn't a good one. For one, the graphics didn't look all that spectacular. Also, Flight Simulator, while "awesome" to some folks, is pretty boring for anyone who isn't into that kinda thing. At least a first person shooter would have shown some action. And it was pretty damn jerky too.

I also noticed when he would do something like bring up the alt-tab or the cascading expose thing the system would momentarily freeze (I'm guessing the system was creating the thumbnail views of the windows or something)... he even had some problem bringing up alt-tab because it just flashed on the screen once.

MS needs to take some public speaking classes from Steve Jobs methinks.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
ghemphill said:
Only to anyone that reads the New York Times... Hmmm... one or two folks I guess...

:)

I even get NY Times (edited version) as an additional to my Norwegian Saturday paper.
So you can count in one or two over here as well;)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Sharewaredemon said:
Can anyone tell me the time that they do the Vista demo because all I saw was him talking to Conan O'Brian forever before I gave up.

I think you're watching last years one there Sharewaredemon, you might be waiting awhile!

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I watched the whole CES keynote and the impression I was left with of Vista was they went around and "borrowed" the best ideas from other apps, OSes and then changed them enough so they look Microsoft(ish). I was having a discussion with someone about this last night on MSN Messager they were telling me how good Windows Vista looked and then I went through and named apps like Omniweb and OSes like Tiger pointing out how these features already exist at the moment.

Oh well it is a Microsoft OS, this tradition has been going on since the introduction of the Mac so many years ago. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.