Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I have some home videos on old Sony Mini-DV tapes that I recently imported into iMovie 11 using the iLink (FireWire) interface. I also have a new Sony NEX 6 camera, which gets raves for its video quality, and videos are automatically imported into Aperture 3 when I connect my camera. In both cases, the imported videos (not the originals) contain horizontal "jaggie" artifacts that I assume are due to interlacing. I experienced this problem when using HandBrake to create MP4 files from ripped DVDs and VHS tapes. I did some research, and enabling a variable comb-filter setting in HandBrake solved the problem. How do I prevent or eliminate the "jaggies" in my iMovie and Aperture video captures? Or do they only go away after I convert the videos to MP4 files with HandBrake?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have some home videos on old Sony Mini-DV tapes that I recently imported into iMovie 11 using the iLink (FireWire) interface. I also have a new Sony NEX 6 camera, which gets raves for its video quality, and videos are automatically imported into Aperture 3 when I connect my camera. In both cases, the imported videos (not the originals) contain horizontal "jaggie" artifacts that I assume are due to interlacing. I experienced this problem when using HandBrake to create MP4 files from ripped DVDs and VHS tapes. I did some research, and enabling a variable comb-filter setting in HandBrake solved the problem. How do I prevent or eliminate the "jaggies" in my iMovie and Aperture video captures? Or do they only go away after I convert the videos to MP4 files with HandBrake?

BTW, for future shots, you will want to use the genuine 60p mode of the NEX-6. Fortunately it supports 60p, unlike the lower-cost NEX 3 series. Then, you can avoid the PITA decombing step, which takes a LOT of time when done properly.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
BTW, for future shots, you will want to use the genuine 60p mode of the NEX-6. Fortunately it supports 60p, unlike the lower-cost NEX 3 series. Then, you can avoid the PITA decombing step, which takes a LOT of time when done properly.

Thanks -- I'll go through my NEX 6 manual again. The camera's wealth of features is both a blessing and a curse. I found a setting for selecting video output for whatever viewing device you're connected to, and I have it set to Auto Detect. I couldn't find where to select for video type when you record, so I assumed it defaults to 60P, and you can convert on output if necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.