Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgm707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I have tried doing what I thought was a clean reinstall of Maverick OS. Turning off the Macbook Air. Turning it on whiile holding down Command and R keys. I choose Disk Utility and erase my hard drive. Then I choose the reinstallation option. But it doesn't appear to be a complete reinstall, in that all my stuff is still there.

Do I need to download a bootable app and use a USB memory stick/flash drive or external hard drive to install the OS data back to my laptop?

Thanks very much for any help.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
I have tried doing what I thought was a clean reinstall of Maverick OS. Turning off the Macbook Air. Turning it on whiile holding down Command and R keys. I choose Disk Utility and erase my hard drive. Then I choose the reinstallation option. But it doesn't appear to be a complete reinstall, in that all my stuff is still there.

Do I need to download a bootable app and use a USB memory stick/flash drive or external hard drive to install the OS data back to my laptop?

Thanks very much for any help.

None of your stuff should be there. Are you reinstalling or restoring from Time Machine?

cgm707

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
clean reinstall

doh!

...i guess if i skip the restoring from time machine on my external HD, it would show a clean reinstall?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.