Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Is it possible to buy a mac under name X
and register the Xcode & developer account under name Y on this mac
or will this cause problems?

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
so the mac purchase can be on someone 's else name
but the registration on mine?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I bought my Macs under my original iTunes account. My original developer account, which is also on the free status, is that account. My paid developer account is a completely different account which allows me to use my iOS devices for development and post software to the iOS App Store. I've even had a customer developer account on this machine.

Now, if you are actually talking about purchasing a Mac under one persons name and want to make sure any purchases like OS X are tied to that machine, I think you'd want to use the purchasers name. I'm not really sure how OS X upgrade would handle that but perhaps with OS X being a free upgrade now, it doesn't matter.

Other Mac App Store software purchases can be loaded on multiple machines via _your_ personal iTunes account. I have software loaded on my Mac at work that I purchased through my personal account. It only took signing into the store with my personal account and downloading the software I wanted to load on that machine. The software still runs on this machine too.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I've had valid dev accounts on a hackintosh for years, so there is no tie between the purchase (I never purchased a Mac) and the account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.