Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
So I wanted to delete my boot camp partition and restore my full 1 TB hard drive to Mac OS. I opened boot camp assistant and told it to delete the windows partition. It kept having an error so I kept retrying. Finally, it started going but then just froze so I closed out boot camp assistant. Unfortunately even after restarting, disk utility still showed 65 GB (the size of my old windows partition) as missing from the Mac partition. Resizing it wouldn't work because "couldn't unmount disk" error.

So! I backup in TM, go to Recovery, try to wipe the hard drive. Doesn't work, same error about unmounting failure. I boot via Time Machine, erase the hard drive, that works. It says my hard drive partition is now the full 999.2 GB it should be. Here's my issue:

When I go to restore from TM in Recovery, when I get to where I choose thr hard drive to restore it on, my option is a 934 GB drive...aka thr size of my drive without thr Windows partition being truly erased. What is going on here? How can I get my full space back?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try option key booting from the TM disk again and this time in Disk Util select the drive brand name at the very top (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) then erase and see if that does the trick.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Good news: Time Machine telling me my disk was only 931 GB or whatever was just a glitch. After I restored, it showed up as the full 999.2 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.