Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have read several threads here about accessing control center from the lock screen and particularly in cases of theft, how the airplane mode was used to take it off the network and thus not being able to track using Find my phone. Some have suggested to disable the control center from the lock screen. However, I think it is very handy to have it there for a quick access with a small modification being that on the lock screen airplane mode is not available on the control center, you have to log in in order to enable it. It shouldn't be a big hassle since airplane mode is not one of the most used tasks you do multiple times in a day that requires a quick access and also this way it will ensure that Find my phone cannot be disabled easily.
What's your opinion on this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It would make sense to do it like that. Even when you have Siri enabled on the lock screen and ask it to turn in airplane mode it will ask you to unlock the phone first, can't see why it should be any different with the same exact feature in the Control Center.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I had disabled Control Center and Siri on the lock screen months ago right after iOS 7 was released for exactly the reason the OP mentioned.

A day or two ago, I remembered out of the blue that anyone who steals the phone can immediately power it off without needing to enter the pass code -- thereby rendering Find My iPhone useless until they turn the phone back on and it connects to either cellular or Wi-Fi. Recognizing this, I immediately turned Control Center and Siri back on from the lock screen; and I'm glad I did because I don't have to enter my pass code nearly as often throughout the day.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had disabled Control Center and Siri on the lock screen months ago right after iOS 7 was released for exactly the reason the OP mentioned.

A day or two ago, I remembered out of the blue that anyone who steals the phone can immediately power it off without needing to enter the pass code -- thereby rendering Find My iPhone useless until they turn the phone back on and it connects to either cellular or Wi-Fi. Recognizing this, I immediately turned Control Center and Siri back on from the lock screen; and I'm glad I did because I don't have to enter my pass code nearly as often throughout the day.
Well, at least in the case of Siri you can't enable airplane mode from the lock screen without unlocking anyway.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If iPhones continue to have touch ID the need for Control Center on the lock screen is diminished. Speaking from a general security standpoint, if you allow non-owners to perform functions from the lock screen on an iDevice then you are putting a lot of faith in Apple's security (which has had multiple lock screen bypass exploits).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I have read several threads here about accessing control center from the lock screen and particularly in cases of theft, how the airplane mode was used to take it off the network and thus not being able to track using Find my phone. Some have suggested to disable the control center from the lock screen. However, I think it is very handy to have it there for a quick access with a small modification being that on the lock screen airplane mode is not available on the control center, you have to log in in order to enable it. It shouldn't be a big hassle since airplane mode is not one of the most used tasks you do multiple times in a day that requires a quick access and also this way it will ensure that Find my phone cannot be disabled easily.

My iPhone is jailbroken so I don't actually have a Airplane mode toggle on my control center. I have

Flashlight
Wifi
Mute
Bluetooth
hotspot.

They can turn those on/off all day for all I care. :p

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i agree that airplane mode shouldn't be able to be accessed from the lock screen, it should be greyed out so it cannot be selected.

butttt if i were a thief i would just turn the phone off, so airplane mode doesn't really matter. They should implement entering your password to turn the phone off.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for this topic because I'm new to iOS7 and I did not know you could access the control center from the lock screen but sure enough you can with 7.0.6, so I just turned off access from the lock screen, then I asked Siri from the lock screen to turn on airplane mode she says ok but you will need to put in your passcode. Good now it's as it should be. Why is this not the default?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

Honestly, if I was the thief I would not even bother with airplane mode. I would simply just remove the sim card from it's tray and and move on.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for this topic because I'm new to iOS7 and I did not know you could access the control center from the lock screen but sure enough you can with 7.0.6, so I just turned off access from the lock screen, then I asked Siri from the lock screen to turn on airplane mode she says ok but you will need to put in your passcode. Good now it's as it should be. Why is this not the default?
In this case the convenience provided is not trumped by a security concern. The thief could easily disconnect the phone by turning it off or placing it outside of a coverage area.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Well.. the point here is to make it difficult to by-pass the security. That's why even power-off should also be password protected, and we don't restart the iphone many times, so it won't be a big hassle entering it once in a while.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
This is a extremely good point I didn't think of. Apple should be fixing this as soon as possible because it is a HUGE problem. That would give them a lot of time to some how figure out the password but the main reason people steal phones is for the data on it so at some point they will be turning it back off and connecting to a network.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well.. the point here is to make it difficult to by-pass the security. That's why even power-off should also be password protected, and we don't restart the iphone many times, so it won't be a big hassle entering it once in a while.

I think you are thinking of security as in actually getting the phone back if stolen. Apples idea on security is just to protect the information on the device if stolen, MAYBE finding it if lost.

To be honest I don't find Find my iPhone to be that reliable. First if its indoors it won't be pinpointed. So that would only help if you left it somewhere (office, friends house, etc). If stolen you couldn't exactly go door to door in a neighborhood asking unless you know who took it.

Second, about once a month or so since iOS 7 if I don't reset my phone Find my iPhone can not find it, it says device offline. EVEN if I'm checking it from the phone I'm looking for...lol. So even if it was stolen the thief could use it freely. Not sure what the issue is but I just reset my phone once a week or so now which sucks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.