Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I have a 4G that's finally bitten the dust (dead hard drive, sad iPod face, won't mount) and is covered under AppleCare, so I should be entitled to a replacement. Does anyone know if the Apple Store offers trade-ups for these types of situations? I'd like to move up to a 5G for cheap if possible.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
They'll give you a new one of what you bought. They don't allow trade-ups, and you'll get a replacement of what you bought, and not a 5g model.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Thats not necessarily true. My cousin had a 20GB 4th Gen and when she had to replace it for the fourth time, she asked them to upgrade her to a 5G and they happily did. She didn't even have to argue, she just asked and they said ok.

So maybe if yours has broken a few times, you can ask them to upgrade you.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It depends on the store, and the person. If you ask, they might, but I doubt it. Every person's case is also different (like with killuminati's example).
I wouldn't ask them, you don't want to sound greedy, they might question if you broke it on purpose.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
EricNau said:
I wouldn't ask them, you don't want to sound greedy, they might question if you broke it on purpose.

I wouldn't consider it greedy to ask for an upgrade when you buy a $400 product and it breaks 4 times in a year.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
killuminati said:
Thats not necessarily true. My cousin had a 20GB 4th Gen and when she had to replace it for the fourth time, she asked them to upgrade her to a 5G and they happily did. She didn't even have to argue, she just asked and they said ok.

So maybe if yours has broken a few times, you can ask them to upgrade you.

I was referring to if this was the first time it had broke...if it's not the first time as many people have posted then yes, they would probably upgrade you.

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
DaftUnion said:
I was referring to if this was the first time it had broke...if it's not the first time as many people have posted then yes, they would probably upgrade you.

In my case I tried twice to get Apple to replace it while the hard drive was still degrading. They kept sending it back with a clean bill of health, which is funny since the second time it was dead right out of the box.

I should get an upgrade just for the aggravation. :D

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
killuminati said:
I wouldn't consider it greedy to ask for an upgrade when you buy a $400 product and it breaks 4 times in a year.
Sorry, I meant for those whose iPod just broke once, demanding a upgraded iPod. I totally agree with your cousin asking for a different model.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
EricNau said:
Sorry, I meant for those whose iPod just broke once, demanding a upgraded iPod. I totally agree with your cousin asking for a different model.

I agree with you, sorry I just didn't notice anywhere where he mentioned how many times hes had it replaced.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Like previous posters have said, it all depends on the person you are asking...since the Minis are discontinued, you shouldn't be suprised if you get a nano (a friend of mine received a nano when her Mini died... but my girlfriend got a replacement Blue Mini... so I guess it depends what they have in stock at the time)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.