Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darcyvoutt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Right now I have an old MacBook Pro 2010 model that nearing the end of it's life cycle. I've been thinking of setting up some kind of media server to do all my torrenting and so forth, potentially also some dev work but not sure.

I am using Back to My Mac a lot to screen share, download and unpack torrents. Was wondering if I could do the same with my Mac Mini even if it wasn't connected to a monitor.

I really like Back to My Mac as I start torrents when I'm out of the house but have it all being done at home where I have fiber-optic. :D

Will this work? Is there a better implementation I'm not thinking of?

Last edited:

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Right now I have an old MacBook Pro 2010 model that nearing the end of it's life cycle. I've been thinking of setting up some kind of media server to do all my torrenting and so forth, potentially also some dev work but not sure.

I am using Back to My Mac a lot to screen share, download and unpack torrents. Was wondering if I could do the same with my Mac Mini even if it wasn't connected to a monitor.

I really like Back to My Mac as I start torrents when I'm out of the house but have it all being done at home where I have fiber-optic. :D

Will this work? Is there a better implementation I'm not thinking of?

Be aware of the "Black Screen" issue. See : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1683058/
You may have to add a dongle/resistor to fool the GPU.

I would also vote for VNC (I use this free one : https://www.realvnc.com). I can also use my iPhone/iPad to control my Macs with VNC,

Last edited:

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
VNC allows iPad/iPhone to Mac links.

While nice, does not offer any advantage when communicating Mac to Mac. Screen Sharing brings drag and drop file transfer and a shared clipboard. Your move. :)

A.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
While nice, does not offer any advantage when communicating Mac to Mac. Screen Sharing brings drag and drop file transfer and a shared clipboard. Your move. :)

A.

Yes, but it does allow control from the iPxxx. I set up my Mini to do stuff (top floor) and control it from the iPxxx (bottom floor). 30:15.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Will this work?

Yes it will work. Unfortunately without a monitor connected, OS X detects this and turns a bunch of video-related services off. You will experience laggy screen updates and large areas that are simply black, as drsox already mentioned. This is fixed with an EDID emulator, which makes OS X think a monitor is connected.

For whatever reason most EDID emulators are $60 or even a hundred or more. But I use the $15 Fit Headless on my Mac Mini and it works fine. It is a little monitor-emulating dongle that plugs into the HDMI port. Amazon is out of stock until the 19th.

darcyvoutt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Yes it will work. Unfortunately without a monitor connected, OS X detects this and turns a bunch of video-related services off. You will experience laggy screen updates and large areas that are simply black, as drsox already mentioned. This is fixed with an EDID emulator, which makes OS X think a monitor is connected.

For whatever reason most EDID emulators are $60 or even a hundred or more. But I use the $15 Fit Headless on my Mac Mini and it works fine. It is a little monitor-emulating dongle that plugs into the HDMI port. Amazon is out of stock until the 19th.

Thanks for this information, it is really helpful. This will probably be my option, unless my needs change.

As per drsox and Alrescha, your back and forthe debate was quite entertaining. To help close this out, I don't see an immediate need for the use of iPad or iPhone since the goal is simply to manage torrenting better.

My goals may change by the time I actually make a purpose and this machine. Regardless, this has been a really great starting point for more information to research!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.