Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
My daughter poured a pint of water over my wife's MBA. It shut off immediately and was absolutely soaking.
I took the back off, and there was water everywhere. All over the battery pack; all over the logic board, every point from the keyboard downwards.
I took the battery pack out, dried everything with tissues as well as possible, then put more tissue between the closed halves and left it on a radiator overnight.

I kept changing the tissues, as they were still coming up damp. Eventually, after more than 2 days, the tissues were staying dry. I put the whole thing back to together and pressed the power button.

It worked! I'm amazed, given the state of it, but it seems to be 100% fine. If the glass had contained cola, or fruit juice, or milk, it would have been a different story.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
My daughter poured a pint of water over my wife's MBA. It shut off immediately and was absolutely soaking.
I took the back off, and there was water everywhere. All over the battery pack; all over the logic board, every point from the keyboard downwards.
I took the battery pack out, dried everything with tissues as well as possible, then put more tissue between the closed halves and left it on a radiator overnight.

I kept changing the tissues, as they were still coming up damp. Eventually, after more than 2 days, the tissues were staying dry. I put the whole thing back to together and pressed the power button.

It worked! I'm amazed, given the state of it, but it seems to be 100% fine. If the glass had contained cola, or fruit juice, or milk, it would have been a different story.

Even with water you will run into corrosion issues as water contains minerals.

My advice is...

Power it off ASAP and remover the battery.

Now pop to Tandy or RadioShack or maplins and grab some contact cleaner or circuit board cleaner and use this on the logic board etc. preferably with them removed from the top case.

Dry them out thoughrly in a warm place.

Now reassemble and use as normal.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Your current story may not yet be fully written.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I was expecting to read you say you sold your daughter for a new computer or something along those lines. :eek: :p

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if the battery life took a hit. I imagine a few weeks down the road you will run into a problem that can be attributed to this.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
The battery cells actually are sealed very well compared to everything else inside the air

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Even with water you will run into corrosion issues as water contains minerals.

My advice is...

Power it off ASAP and remover the battery.

Now pop to Tandy or RadioShack or maplins and grab some contact cleaner or circuit board cleaner and use this on the logic board etc. preferably with them removed from the top case.

Dry them out thoughrly in a warm place.

Now reassemble and use as normal.

Tandy? Really? That's pretty 80's of you...

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I'm old! If I say to someone of a similar age Tandy, they know what I mean ;)

Haha, I remember Tandy. I went in once with a group of mates and formatted all of the drives in their crappy pc's using a little program we made at college. Loaded it on and walked away, 2 mins later the drives wiped. Fun times. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.