Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Hello all! I have a question regarding the Nikon D610. Is the camera still having the "oil issue"? I'm really concerned about this. I currently have a D7100 (for sale in the market place) and I'm wanting to move up to a full frame camera, for the price the D610 is my choice. From what I read online the oil issues of the D600 have been fixed or greatly improved in the D610. Can any owners chime in on this?

Edit: I just saw from another post that Nikon has issued basically a recall to fix the shutter assembly of the D600 to fix the oil issue. But I'm still wanting to hear from D610 users.

Thanks in advanced.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pretty sure from what I read its a thing of the past. The D610 is basically the D600 with the oil problem fixed. You will get a warranty with it anyway, so any problem you are covered.

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Hello all! I have a question regarding the Nikon D610. Is the camera still having the "oil issue"? I'm really concerned about this. I currently have a D7100 (for sale in the market place) and I'm wanting to move up to a full frame camera, for the price the D610 is my choice. From what I read online the oil issues of the D600 have been fixed or greatly improved in the D610. Can any owners chime in on this?

Edit: I just saw from another post that Nikon has issued basically a recall to fix the shutter assembly of the D600 to fix the oil issue. But I'm still wanting to hear from D610 users.

Thanks in advanced.

even though the d610 is full frame, i doubt you'll will notice a big jump from yuor D7100. didnt that camera just come out and ur already wanting to get rid of it?

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Pretty sure from what I read its a thing of the past. The D610 is basically the D600 with the oil problem fixed. You will get a warranty with it anyway, so any problem you are covered.

Thats basically what I have been reading online as well. Just wanted to hear from owners on here. I know they have their one year warranty, but I'm not about to spend this about of money on something that I have every other month because its in the shop for repairs...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thats basically what I have been reading online as well. Just wanted to hear from owners on here. I know they have their one year warranty, but I'm not about to spend this about of money on something that I have every other month because its in the shop for repairs...

A friend of mine has the D600. Nikon replaced the shutter mechanism on his D600 (so its basically a D610 now) and the oil spots have stopped appearing.

uvafan1

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Hampton, Va

Thanks in advanced.

I have owned a D610 for several months and haven't had any problems. The fix of the shutter mechanism is one main reasons I bought it.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
so how come your getting rid fo ur D7100 already?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I really just want to step up to a full-frame. Yes, I probably won't notice that much of a difference. And I'm loosing some focus points but I'm really excited about a full-frame and the benefits from it. I plan on extending my photography knowledge with some additional college level courses and I want all my equipment to be where I want it to be. I plan on keeping the D610 for three-five years and then focusing on lens upgrades. You can help me out by buying my D7100 kit that I'm selling in the Market Place. hahaha

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
I really just want to step up to a full-frame. Yes, I probably won't notice that much of a difference. And I'm loosing some focus points but I'm really excited about a full-frame and the benefits from it. I plan on extending my photography knowledge with some additional college level courses and I want all my equipment to be where I want it to be. I plan on keeping the D610 for three-five years and then focusing on lens upgrades. You can help me out by buying my D7100 kit that I'm selling in the Market Place. hahaha

is it that big of a jump? I ust bought a CAnon 70D

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
The D610 was specifically released to resolve the oil spots on the sensor issue that plagued the D600.

Regarding full frame vs. crop…IMO, your instincts are spot-on pilotkid. If it's within your budget, I can't imagine that you'll regret the move to full frame.

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
The D610 was specifically released to resolve the oil spots on the sensor issue that plagued the D600.

Regarding full frame vs. crop…IMO, your instincts are spot-on pilotkid. If it's within your budget, I can't imagine that you'll regret the move to full frame.

should i have gotton a full frame instead of a CAnon 70D?

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

I can't answer that for you KimJonNumberUn.

The choice of full frame or crop is based on numerous factors including budget for body and budget for lenses, available lenses, shooting style and anticpated or preferred subject. These are things that only you really know and based on what you know, you have to decide for yourself.

Opinions about the best photography gear are like belly buttons…everybody's got one and they're all different. My comment to pilotkid was based on the indication that he's already made the decision...sounds like you may have decided as well.

Edit: I will offer one opinion though...Get off-line and go out and use that new camera you've got. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
What you are saying is kinda like someone who just bought a minivan asking if he shouldve bought the mercedes instead.

The Canon 70d has a revolutionary af system i heard.
It received excellent reviews and is a crop.
The D610 is double the price and full frame.

The 70d can use crop lenses.
Only expensive ff lenses make sense for the D610.

The 70d is an allround enthusiast dslr.
The D610 is basically a Pro Dslr in an enthusiasts disguise.

Depending on what you want to do with your camera the D610 or 70d are a good choice.

To the Op:
I own a D610 and havent seen any oil spots. I can highly recommend it. Excellent DR and IQ.
Very versatil.

----------

I can't answer that for you KimJonNumberUn.
My comment to pilotkid was based on the indication that he's already made the decision...sounds like you may have decided as well.
Edit: I will offer one opinion though...Get off-line and go out and use that new camera you've got. Enjoy!
I second that. The 70d is not a cheap camera indeed. Use it!

Last edited:

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Picked up my D610, 24-85mm VR kit today. I'm truly in love with this camera. I can't wait to actually be able to get out and use it. It will be a few days though because of work, but I'll have something to look forward too in the coming days!

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Picked up my D610, 24-85mm VR kit today. I'm truly in love with this camera. I can't wait to actually be able to get out and use it. It will be a few days though because of work, but I'll have something to look forward too in the coming days!

is it that much better then the D7100. only less thena year and already upgrading :confused::confused:

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
is it that much better then the D7100. only less thena year and already upgrading :confused::confused:
The picture quality does seem to be a little better, especially the vividness of the colors in raw format pre-editing. But that could just be me because I just got it:D.
However, that is something you can expect with a larger sensor. And yes, I didn't have my D7100 a year but I had the itch to go to a full-frame body. To anyone wondering the 24-85mm vr fx lens is great as well. Today I also purchased a Canon Pixma Pro-100 so I'll have a mini review of that when I get it Wednesday.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The picture quality does seem to be a little better, especially the vividness of the colors in raw format pre-editing. But that could just be me because I just got it:D.
However, that is something you can expect with a larger sensor. And yes, I didn't have my D7100 a year but I had the itch to go to a full-frame body. To anyone wondering the 24-85mm vr fx lens is great as well. Today I also purchased a Canon Pixma Pro-100 so I'll have a mini review of that when I get it Wednesday.
Get a fast prime to enjoy ff!
The 50mm f1.8g is a must!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.