PDA

View Full Version : Which Upgrades For Powermac?

crazyfortech
Jan 7, 2006, 03:10 PM
I have a digital audio powermac g4, I was wondering which I upgrades I should do I have about 300.00 to spend, I know I'm already going to buy a pci usb 2.0, not enough usb ports, and I have a wireless card in another pci slot. So which upgrades would be the best for minimal garageband, medium Ilife, little imovie, idvd, IM, documents, ipod, music listening to, maybe a little world of warcraft (doesn't need to be superfast!) I proabably will keep the computer for about 2 1/2 years, just to put into consideration.

Extra Ram 512mb
Bigger HardDrive
new video card
dvd drive
proccesser upgrade
new speakers????

I didn't know if I needed a new video card, if I do which one, under 75.00!

thanks for your help!

ColdFlame87
Jan 7, 2006, 04:57 PM
I have a digital audio powermac g4, I was wondering which I upgrades I should do I have about 300.00 to spend, I know I'm already going to buy a pci usb 2.0, not enough usb ports, and I have a wireless card in another pci slot. So which upgrades would be the best for minimal garageband, medium Ilife, little imovie, idvd, IM, documents, ipod, music listening to, maybe a little world of warcraft (doesn't need to be superfast!) I proabably will keep the computer for about 2 1/2 years, just to put into consideration.

Extra Ram 512mb
Bigger HardDrive
new video card
dvd drive
proccesser upgrade
new speakers????

thanks for your help!
300 dollars will not get you very far when it comes to upgrading the system. Youre going to need at least 500 if you want to upgrade fully

RAM = Definately Upgrade but a 512 stick will use up about half of your funds.

Hard Drive = Also a requirement if you plan to be able to store more files and software, but may also cost about 100 bucks minumun

DVD = Only required if you want to watch DVD movies, but then again some mac software like iLife require you to have a DVD drive for installation you be the judge of that

Processor Upgrade = This along with the RAM upgrade will significatly improve speed but this is very costly to do. Often times its better to just get a new computer than dish out the money for this

Speakers = Only if you need them man. Or if you want better sound :)

With 300 dollars id recommend doing the RAM and either the Hard Drive or DVD upgrades depending on your needs. Hope that helps :)

tweakers_suck
Jan 7, 2006, 05:16 PM

Extra Ram 512mb
Bigger HardDrive
new video card
dvd drive
proccesser upgrade
new speakers????

thanks for your help!

What are you current specs?

Processor?
RAM?
Video card?

iDVD requires minimun processor of 733 MHz G4 and a decent video card, 32 MB VRAM minimum.

The price for some upgrades are, approximately:

1 GHz G4 processor upgrade card $200
Superdrive $60
Video card $100
512 MB RAM $80

I hope that helps. Good luck.

crazyfortech
Jan 8, 2006, 10:16 AM
dual 500mhz
512mb ram
40gb
dvd drive (want to upgrade to superdrive)

adk
Jan 8, 2006, 11:46 AM
I would definitely recommend the extra ram and a big HD. 512MB of ram will probably run you 80-$100, and you can get a 250GB drive for about $100. As for the other $100, it's up to you, but i'd say DVD burner or speakers, depending of whether you're more into music or movies.

tweakers_suck
Jan 8, 2006, 12:37 PM
dual 500mhz
512mb ram
40gb
dvd drive (want to upgrade to superdrive)

Given the $300 budget, I would buy RAM, harddisk, and superdrive.