Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayleywow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
UK
HI Guys

I dunno what I have done.. but my trash can icon looks asthough I have no trash, even though I do.. when I open the trash can my deleted items appear..

How do I get the trash can icon to show it has something in it????? Also if I right click the icon "Empty trash" is greyed out..

Please help as its very annoying

Thanks

Hay

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
HI Guys

I dunno what I have done.. but my trash can icon looks asthough I have no trash, even though I do.. when I open the trash can my deleted items appear..

How do I get the trash can icon to show it has something in it????? Also if I right click the icon "Empty trash" is greyed out..

Please help as its very annoying

Thanks

Hay

Is the trash from a external drive? mount it. No. Check permissions in the disk utility. No. Restart. No. Run ccleaner. No. Run cleanmymac. no. out of ideas lol

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Is the trash from a external drive? mount it. No. Check permissions in the disk utility. No. Restart. No. Run ccleaner. No. Run cleanmymac. no. out of ideas lol

I don't want to open a whole can of worms, but I would think twice about using CleanMyMac. After thinking twice...don't do it.

There are MANY threads discussing the serious potential problems with apps like CleanMyMac, and MacKeeper.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
I don't want to open a whole can of worms, but I would think twice about using CleanMyMac. After thinking twice...don't do it.

There are MANY threads discussing the serious potential problems with apps like CleanMyMac, and MacKeeper.

I believe those are all old threads though right? I have used it with no issues. And googling I couldn't find any recent bad news. But yes it seems a bit more aggressive than others of its kind.

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
The problem seems to be that the files in the trash can are deleted from an NTFS partition drive. Because you cannot natively write to an NTFS partition on OSX, you cannot empty your thrash with NTFS files on it as well.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I get this occasionally. Doesn't seem to be any reason or pattern to it. I fix it by going to force quit and relaunch finder.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY

Definitly don't install MacKeeper. It killed my parents computer... Now dad is on parental controls :p

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
You have to keep an eye on them old folks...:p

Downloading awful stuff, going to very...er...questionable sites...well, you know!:eek:

:D ;)

I tried to limit unwanted sites but it didn't work, it blocked sites that shouldn't have been blocked... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.