Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
You guys must be on the alert for a new type of ebay fraud.
I just got an email about a non-existent item I "sold recently" on ebay.

This is bad because I know that I have not sold anything in months.
I assume when I go to reply to the message, I will have to log in, and that's when they'll get my password.

Has anybody else here got this message? :eek:

fakeEbayItem.jpg

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Other possibilities
1) Hijack
How do you know your account hasn't been hijacked and someone else is running fraud auctions? (in this case the tipoff may be that the email is from a "potential buyer" not a buyer). But in Hijacking cases, often the first you know about it is people complaining to you that "you" didn't send the goods. Hijackers will try to solicit sales off-EBay direct to a hotmail or yahoo email account, rather than go through the eBay member email system.
2) The email may (as you suspect) be a complete fraud, a phishing attempt to get you to log into eBay -- but really to their phishing website -- and thus steal your eBay name and password.
It would be helpful to see the full Headers of the email, so we can show what to look for to detect where the mail really came from.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have not received that message, but I have received several similar messages recently that requested the lowest price I was willing to sell my item for without mentioning the item or item number. This is obviously a generic message that should be treated as spam (or fraud).

L

Lau

That is indeed strange if you haven't sold anything. I would also check that someone hasn't hijacked your account, and sold something in your name.

If you type in http://www.eBay.com (or your country's equivalent) and check "My eBay", make sure there's been no activity you haven't authorised.

edit: so, so, slow.... :eek:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Obvious fake. There is no auction title next to the auction's number. Although, the fakes are getting so hard to tell apart from the original. eBay should move to digitally signed email (PGP or something).

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I got one similar to this, but it was more PayPal-related... but it looked almost exactly like an eBay message. The person was wondering if I'd gotten the money he'd sent me for an item I sold... the kicker being, I've never sold anything on eBay.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
fakeebayHeader.jpg

There's some more info that wasn't included the first time.

My account hasn't been hijacked. In fact I just used it this morning.
And just now I checked again. (You never know). Everything ok.

Weird.:cool:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
HAH! I had the same message months ago. it was very funny, tried making me log in and that. I contacted eBay and forwarded the email with all the IP's and info and stuff.

I had one for paypal once too but I cant remember that exactly. another scam like.

its sad though that sometimes these people win.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I received a message yesterday pretending to be from Paypal, wanting confirmation about a luxury purchase I had supposedly made. I was instructed to click to "verify the transaction", no doubt by entering personal information. And, surprise surprise, the address was something.paypal.something.mx (Mexico), not paypal.com.

Too bad I "accidentally" deleted that message. :rolleyes:

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Whenever I get those sorta emails I click and hold on the link they want me to click and double-check the URL they're sending me to (using Mail.app). Everytime so far it's been bogus (see attach.)

PS - that original eBay spoof has a a .co.uk and .com mismatch, another clue to its fake-ness :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 91

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
bobber205 said:
You guys must be on the alert for a new type of ebay fraud.
I just got an email about a non-existent item I "sold recently" on ebay.

This is bad because I know that I have not sold anything in months.
I assume when I go to reply to the message, I will have to log in, and that's when they'll get my password.

Has anybody else here got this message? :eek:
Yeah, I got one of these for the first time. I just marked it as "Junk" and went about my business.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
ive gotten a few of these types of messages

actually someone got into my ebay addount once but the idiots forgot to change the password soo i got into my account and changed it and they were SOL lol

seeing fake stuff such as that e-mail of your is not rare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.