Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

police340

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hello,

I have a 240Gb SSD drive that came from a Mac that i don't use anymore. It is big enough to replace the hard drive in my Windows machine that I use for my business. My business laptop is an HP with 480 Gb hard dribve broken into three partitions, C, Recivery and HP Tools.

I cant seem to get it to clone from the C drive to the SSD which I have attached with an Apricorn eSata USB device.

I just want to clone it and replace it inside the machine but cant seem to get it going. Any ideas? Much appreciated!

Thanks,
BIll

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Hello,
I cant seem to get it to clone from the C drive to the SSD which I have attached with an Apricorn eSata USB device.

I just want to clone it and replace it inside the machine but cant seem to get it going. Any ideas?
I think the reason you can't clone it is because your SSD is a GPT disk used in OS X, and you need to repartition it as MBR before it can be used for your PC laptop. Follow the answer shown in this link to create a new MBR partition. Since OS X doesn't write NTFS, just leave it as FAT. If necessary, you may have to reformat the SSD as NTFS in Windows, but converting to MBR is essential. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.