Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Whats the best settings mac mini to a Samsung smart tv? right now I'm connected thru hdmi port. Do I need to change anything in display settings to get the most out of my mac? Any feedback will be appreciated, Thank you in advance

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you seeing any problem with the result on the TV screen?
Maybe no one can offer any suggestions, if you are not actually having a problem of any kind?

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Screen doesn't look 1080p not sure if it's me or there's settings I need to fix

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Then pull up the TV display status panel. It will tell you the mode it is in. What makes you think it "doesn't look like 1080p"? Is the text fuzzy? That would be expected because TVs aren't made to display clear text. They are designed for video. Play a video on the Mac, that should look very nice.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Then pull up the TV display status panel. It will tell you the mode it is in. What makes you think it "doesn't look like 1080p"? Is the text fuzzy? That would be expected because TVs aren't made to display clear text. They are designed for video. Play a video on the Mac, that should look very nice.

Just figured out the problem pulled up tv source edit hdmi to PC now screen is perfect. I knew something didn't look right. All is good thanks for the reply

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
FYI I run my Mini off three different 1080 TV's from time to time (2 samsung one sony) and it's sometimes necessary to fiddle with display setup on the Mini as the auto doesn't always work.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Yes, the problem is 9 out of 10 on the TV side.
Also, add custom refresh rates to your Monitor icon in the menu bar with SwitchResX. You can do it once in the trial period, and the settings will remain.

Add:
1920x1080@50Hz if you watch PAL shows
1920x1080@23.976Hz if you watch movies
1920x1080@47.952Hz if the 23.976 does not work (my screen supports the exact double rate, yet not the official "24p" rate.

This will eliminate judder.
You probably also need to fine-tune the TV more:
- get rid of any sharpening (you don't want all those halo's)
- try to disable motion-smoothing (you don't want your movies to look like video)
- set the colours to neutral or sRGB if the latter is an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.