Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Since downloading Maverick, my HP Scanner won't scan. It scans, but the resulting scan is totally black. I've downloaded the latest driver for my scanner and unplugged everything and replugged everything. It's an HP Photosmart C4780 printer/scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Yes to both questions

I assume you've followed HP's advise: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4159&product=3794615&sw_lang=

Yes, your assumption is correct. That's the first thing I checked. Basically, it says if you updated to Maverick, you're okay as long as you keep your Apple software up-to-date, which I have.

Also note that a black scan may mean your lamp has failed.

My lamp is working fine. It scans beautifully and the image shows up on the screen. It just doesn't save as anything but black for photos and black with white lines for document.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It scans beautifully and the image shows up on the screen. It just doesn't save as anything but black for photos and black with white lines for document.

That's good info. The original post didn't read that way to me. Still, I'm stumped. Try another user account on your Mac. See how the scanner works there. That may isolate the problem to your account, or show it to be system wide.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
That's good info. The original post didn't read that way to me. Still, I'm stumped. Try another user account on your Mac. See how the scanner works there. That may isolate the problem to your account, or show it to be system wide.

Well, I'm more certain now than before that it has to do with Maverick. I found a work-around on another forum with Apple's "Image Capture" program.
From looking at all the posts on that forum, it appears my problem is not that uncommon. I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I will as soon as I get all this stuff scanned I need for a legal matter. Here's the link to the aforementioned forum if anyone needs it. Thanks.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5477965?tstart=0
Hope I'm not breaking any rules by sending this. If so, just delete my post.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
It's a Maverick/HP

Well, I'm more certain now than before that it has to do with Maverick. I found a work-around on another forum with Apple's "Image Capture" program.
From looking at all the posts on that forum, it appears my problem is not that uncommon. I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I will as soon as I get all this stuff scanned I need for a legal matter. Here's the link to the aforementioned forum if anyone needs it. Thanks.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5477965?tstart=0
Hope I'm not breaking any rules by sending this. If so, just delete my post.

I'm posting this to help others having the same problem. I've read through enough of the posts found in the above link and concluded that the problem is HP (and possibly others) not supporting the latest Apple software (Maverick). It has been suggested that this is to make you buy a new printer/scanner. I probably will someday but it won't be an HP product. I'm thinking that buying a scanner and a printer would be smarter than a multipurpose printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.