Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which power slider is better?

• iOS 7.0

Votes: 30 23.8%
  • iOS 7 beta

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • iOS 7.1

Votes: 85 67.5%

• Total voters

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Opinion: which of the three sliders is better?
After the backlash on another thread on the Answer slider I really expected less support for the 7.1 version. Its clearly the best one in practical terms though.
original.jpg
slidetopoweroff.jpg

iOS 7.0 - floating red bar.
iOS 7 beta - edge-to-edge red bar.
iOS 7.1 - circle slider.

Last edited:

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I prefer the edge-to-edge design in iOS 7 beta, but I think practically 7.1 is better in that you can actually 'push' an object.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Back to "sliding an object" way of pre-iOS 7. ;) Seems like the more things change the more they go back to being similar to what they were like before iOS 7.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Well, iOS 6 had an arrow on the button. For people unfamiliar with computers, it's a big plus to show them where to move the button. Many older people don't even know what a power symbol is. So to them the symbol is pointless. It could as well look like a smiley or an apple. But an arrow is good intuitive design.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Well, iOS 6 had an arrow on the button. For people unfamiliar with computers, it's a big plus to show them where to move the button. Many older people don't even know what a power symbol is. So to them the symbol is pointless. It could as well look like a smiley or an apple. But an arrow is good intuitive design.

The power symbol has been around for ~40 years, and is used quite commonly. By just quickly looking around at my home, I see an A/V-receiver, a TV, a blender, a water kettle, a washing machine, a printer, etc. with this symbol on the power button.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
They were all good, but I really like the minimalism of the iOS 7.1 version.
It's something different and it's really clean.

I don't turn my phone off very often, so it's not really a big deal.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
7.1 without a doubt...

But it's such a rarely seen screen. Who the freak cares. I definitely like the round buttons in the call screens better.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I like 7.1 better, but I have one problem with it. It looks like you should just press the white dot, but when you do so absolutely nothing happens. I think it should bounce to the right a little if you just press it, the same way the lock screen does if all you do is press there. This gives you a bit of a hint of what you should be trying to do. I understand it has the text saying slide to power off, but if all the user does is press then they obviously missed that.

Also, I don't like that the screen dims as you slide it across. I get that they're trying to suggest that you're doing the right thing, but it makes it difficult to see if you've gone far enough.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I like 7.1 better, but I have one problem with it. It looks like you should just press the white dot, but when you do so absolutely nothing happens. I think it should bounce to the right a little if you just press it, the same way the lock screen does if all you do is press there. This gives you a bit of a hint of what you should be trying to do. I understand it has the text saying slide to power off, but if all the user does is press then they obviously missed that.

I get ya. That would be a nice touch.

Also, I don't like that the screen dims as you slide it across. I get that they're trying to suggest that you're doing the right thing, but it makes it difficult to see if you've gone far enough.

I like the effect, but perhaps it should only dim to 25% the current brightness setting (so how much it dims depends on how bright the screen was before).

secDJ

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
7.0 is the best!

Simple, plain, period.

7.0 !!!

I didn't like iOS 6 but it was sure a loooot better than 7.1. So many colors... ugliest thing ever!!!!

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Back to "sliding an object" way of pre-iOS 7. ;) Seems like the more things change the more they go back to being similar to what they were like before iOS 7.

Yes sir, and skeumorphism has already begun its return. ;)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If you don't care then why are you reading the thread?

I'm not allowed to read or comment on a thread if one of the poll choices I would have picked is not listed? why don't you add that choice and see how many responses you get.

I'm not the only one who doesn't care for that UI considering how little we see of it. It's not a personal attack on you so don't take it that way :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.