Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DownSetDana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Connecticut
Hey guys, I'm soon getting my tax return check, and i plan on dumping it all on a powerbook, I want it now, but im thinking that i should wait until the intels come out, but i don't know, and im kinda new to the whole Mac Scene,I work at CompUSA and the Apple Representative, who I am very good friends with has convinced me to switch over to Mac finally and i've been using a PC for the longest time. Gimme some input on what I should do, I personally think that I should wait for Intel, but I dunno :confused:, im currently on my friends Power Mac, and its just amazing lol but anyways..I've been using Mac OS X for sometime now, and i must say its alot better than windows haha

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
haha... wait until Tuesday before making your mind up about your purchase. If you need it now, then get it now. If you can afford to wait, then wait to see where things go.

Simple.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Well I think you've already made up your mind....wait to see what happens at MWSF and decide from there. And if you absolutely can't wait until the Intel PBs come out, then you'd might as well just make the switch. As you've said, Macs are the way to go! ;)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
DownSetDana said:
Hey guys, I'm soon getting my tax return check, and i plan on dumping it all on a powerbook

Now that you mention tax returns, I hope my W-2 makes an appearance in my mailbox this week. I would love to file by 01-20 so that I can receive yet another generous electronic deposit. My withholding is set to a ridiculously high amount, but such refunds do bring some lovely color to the cheeks. Even if MWSF is a bit of a bust, shopping time will begin early spring. :)

rickray

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Food for thought

Do you realize that all a tax refund is is the government admitting that they took too much of YOUR money through out the year. Imagine, if you had that money come back to you each paycheck instead, you could save or invest it and make more money. Think about adding allowances to your W-4. If you can make it so you are around zero on tax day, i.e. no refund and no owing to the government, then you have minimized the amount of excess they take from you.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
rickray said:
Do you realize that all a tax refund is is the government admitting that they took too much of YOUR money through out the year. Imagine, if you had that money come back to you each paycheck instead, you could save or invest it and make more money. Think about adding allowances to your W-4. If you can make it so you are around zero on tax day, i.e. no refund and no owing to the government, then you have minimized the amount of excess they take from you.

That is a good point.

I also suggest waiting until after the announcements just to be safe. If there are Intels then go for it, but if not then just buy the current PowerBook!

BearRanger

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Deep in the Woods
Buy the current Powerbook...

But wait until after Tuesday. It's nice to have the latest and greatest, but if it were me I'd wait for Rev B. Not to mention potential software issues that will likely arise with the first generation Intel hardware.

The reason to wait is to find out when any potential new machines will ship. Once that happens all of the Apple resellers will offer discounts on the current stuff.

BearRanger

DownSetDana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Connecticut
I'll probably wait until the Intel's come out, then see how they are rated and reviewed, I really hope Rev. A isn't that bad.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
DownSetDana said:
I'll probably wait until the Intel's come out, then see how they are rated and reviewed, I really hope Rev. A isn't that bad.

If you live near a apple store (within 20 minz), it won't be too bad! :eek:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
rickray said:

This is true, and technically its the same money in the end (whether you take it now or get it later). Having the use of the money until the returns come is also arguably advantageous, but of course there is always something to be said for getting a fat check in the mail. ;)

So....what was the question...oh PowerBook, right. Well I would say wait if you have a capable PC at the moment. At the very least, definitely wait until this Tuesday. I would think that if they roll out intel iBooks/Mac Minis/iMacs, then PowerBooks will not be far behind. If they don't, it is most likely that these products will be announced before new PB's, so you might want to reconsider springing for a G4 at that point.

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
I don't even need a laptop, but I'm definately getting one soon. I'm leaning towards the iBook, since I don't really need much power. I'm just getting hooked on OS X. And I love new toys!

DownSetDana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Connecticut
i'M Impressed

Well i saw the keynote, and im quite impressed. I just wanna know the battery life. lol, some say it sucks but i don't know what to trust yet. And im a little iffy on Rosetta and stuff, so let me know what you guys think.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
DownSetDana said:
Well i saw the keynote, and im quite impressed. I just wanna know the battery life. lol, some say it sucks but i don't know what to trust yet. And im a little iffy on Rosetta and stuff, so let me know what you guys think.

The OS and iLife aps are already universal binary (run native either way). Pro apps are switching to universal binary soon - Apple says March for Final Cut Pro on the web site. While I don't think it will be a long time for universal binaries of things like MS Word, if the new Duo is as fast as Steve Jobs claims, you may be able to run the PowerPC version under rosetta just as fast (or faster;) )

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.