PDA

View Full Version : viewing hard drive from imac to imac g5

G wizz
Jan 8, 2006, 10:44 AM
I have an old 99 tangerine imac, is there anyway I can connect my imac G5 to it via an ethernet cable and work on it via my G5. Do I need some software.

ebow
Jan 8, 2006, 11:06 AM
I think you can just put an ethernet cable between them, and the iMac G5 should auto-detect that you have two computers connected (as opposed to having one computer connected to a network). If I recall correctly, the network cards in newer Macs supports this computer-to-computer connection--someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This page from Apple Support (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh914.html) should get you started, and you'll find more networking information here (http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/network/).

adk
Jan 8, 2006, 11:49 AM
you can do target disk mode (system preferences - startup disk - restart in Target Disk), this will let you connect them via a firewire cable, assuming this mac has firewire.

Sam0r
Jan 8, 2006, 11:55 AM
I dont think the 1999 macs had Firewire, could be wrong though.

I take it the iMac is running OS X?

If so:

Your best bet would be to link the two machines with an ethernet cable.

You may need a crossover cable, if you've only got one machine, I wouldn't expect you to have one, so its best to go out and buy one. Although, as previously stated, a standard ethernet cable (CAT5) may work.

You'll need to give the macs IP addresses.

Start with 192.168.1.1 for the G5 and 192.168.1.2 for the iMac. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway/router should be 192.168.1.1

Apply the settings, and then on the iMac, go into system prefs > sharing and enable personal file sharing.

Go over to the G5 and click on your desktop, cold command and press K.

Type in the connect box "afp://192.168.1.2" without the quotes, and hit enter.

The rest should be self explanatory :)

adk
Jan 8, 2006, 12:01 PM
whoops, didn't even notice the OP said 99 imac. Scratch target disk then.

neocell
Jan 8, 2006, 12:13 PM
I think you can just put an ethernet cable between them, and the iMac G5 should auto-detect that you have two computers connected (as opposed to having one computer connected to a network). If I recall correctly, the network cards in newer Macs supports this computer-to-computer connection--someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, all new macs don't need a cross-over cable now, so just plug and plug and you should be able to see it in your networks folder under system preferences once you enable file sharing on the '99 iMac

G wizz
Jan 8, 2006, 01:09 PM
all sounds promissing, I'll have a go at that, now where did my wife put the firewire cable??????:rolleyes:

ebow
Jan 8, 2006, 01:18 PM
all sounds promissing, I'll have a go at that, now where did my wife put the firewire cable??????:rolleyes:

Don't worry about the firewire cable, as your Tangerine doesn't have one. Any regular ethernet (cat-5) cable should do.

G wizz
Apr 11, 2006, 01:50 PM
my tangerine has 2 fire wires. have done all the above but still does not connect with both firewire and ethernet connected.:cool: :rolleyes: