PDA

View Full Version : Do you think AppleCare will cover this???

corywoolf
Jan 8, 2006, 10:48 AM
I have a 40 GB iPod Photo that I purchased last October and have apple care for it. I know apple is picky about covering things. I noticed last night that my click wheel no longer clicks on the left arrow, it is like it is always pressed down. I would hope they would cover this, I paid like $50 for the apple care. I haven't opened up the ipod or anything and it is in good condition otherwise (hardly any scratches). My other question is will they give me a 40 GB iPod Photo back refurbished? Since they probably don't sell them even refurbished anymore, would they just replace the click wheel and send the same one back to me? It would be sweet if they sent me a 60 GB iPod (video). Has anyone sent their ipod into apple and got a newer ipod model back? I was thinking about selling it soon anyways, so if I get a refurbished 40 GB ipod Photo I will sell it, but if they give me a 60 GB (video) I will keep it. Only thing that sucks is that I only have USB 1.1 on my iMac g4. I hope to get a 2 Ghz Powermac soon though.

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 10:51 AM
I have a 40 GB iPod Photo that I purchased last October and have apple care for it. I know apple is picky about covering things. I noticed last night that my click wheel no longer clicks on the left arrow, it is like it is always pressed down. I would hope they would cover this, I paid like $50 for the apple care. I haven't opened up the ipod or anything and it is in good condition otherwise (hardly any scratches). My other question is will they give me a 40 GB iPod Photo back refurbished? Since they probably don't sell them even refurbished anymore, would they just replace the click wheel and send the same one back to me? It would be sweet if they sent me a 60 GB iPod (video). Has anyone sent their ipod into apple and got a newer ipod model back? I was thinking about selling it soon anyways, so if I get a refurbished 40 GB ipod Photo I will sell it, but if they give me a 60 GB (video) I will keep it. Only thing that sucks is that I only have USB 1.1 on my iMac g4. I hope to get a 2 Ghz Powermac soon though.

You'll most likely get a 40GB refurb back, or your own.

adk
Jan 8, 2006, 11:16 AM
That sounds like something that applecare should cover, especially if you didn't drop it or anything.

corywoolf
Jan 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
That sounds like something that applecare should cover, especially if you didn't drop it or anything.
Good, now just to remember to backup all my files I archived onto the ipod and to make sure I take the linux off it. Would apple be pissed if they found linux on it? :p

J@ffa
Jan 8, 2006, 12:11 PM
Good, now just to remember to backup all my files I archived onto the ipod and to make sure I take the linux off it. Would apple be pissed if they found linux on it? :p

Apple would probably say you voided you warrany because, well, you did. :P Fully erase and then restore it, without Linux, and you should be fine.

TMA
Jan 8, 2006, 12:39 PM
Would apple be pissed if they found linux on it? :p

Interesting point. On the one hand you could say that you're allowed to install *nix on a mac and it wouldn't void the warranty. On the other they could say you're not meant to tinker with the iPod software.

I would say Apple should fix the problem under Applecare, that's what it's there for after all. You would get back a refurbished (like new) 40gb Photo iPod.