Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jklancer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Hey guys! I actually joined the site just so I could give you guys this easy tutorial on how to install windows 7 on macbook pro/air. This is based on recent models such as late 2011 to mid 2012 so please bear with me if I can't provide solutions to any problems for older gen macbooks. If there are any errors or gaps in the tutorial please let me know.

BEFORE WE START: Backup Backup Backup! It is imperative you back up your important files before you start this tutorial. I will not take responsibility for damage to your computer.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED: A macbook, 2x usb at least 4gb but 8gb+ recommended, a windows laptop OR parallels virtual pc etc, win7 iso which I will supply the link to (you will need the serial key though), boot camp assistant on your macbook pro/air

Step 1. Acquire a win7 iso. You can find the offical isos from this website:
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Btw find the one you want e.g. win7 ultimate or home premium and the type of laptop you have, I assume x64 bit. You need to have a working official serial key for whatever you download though, I am in no way promoting piracy of any sort in this tutorial, please buy the official keys. Also you should have boot camp assistant installed on your macbook pro/air

Step 2. Go on your windows laptop/parallels or vmware and download the win7 bootable usb maker, microsoft created this software so download it from their website, and create a bootable usb from your iso you downloaded. While you are doing that, you can also go ahead to boot camp assistant and do this

For you, it won't say Remove windows partition, it will say "Create windows partition".

It will then download mac drivers for the windows partition so the Mac parts are compatible with windows.

Step 3: When you have made the bootable usb and downloaded the mac drivers on the other usb we can get started to the actual process. When you finish downloading the drivers it will make you choose how much gb you want in the new partition (the win7 one). Fill out how much you want and continue. BTW leave the bootable flashdrive in the macbook when the macbook creates the new partition. It will make the partition but be patient, it might take a while. When it is done it will restart and take you to the windows installation page.

Step 4: Just simply complete the windows installation, you don't have to unplug the flashdrive, just relax and wait for the installation to complete. Once it has completed, and you have filled out what you want your password to be yada yada yada, you will be brought to your desktop. Now what you should do is A. If you haven't already activated your windows, then do it now
B. You should plug in your mac drivers usb and click on the setup.exe. It will install the mac drivers (be patient). When it is finished you will have to restart your mac. When you are finished installing the drivers all you need to do is install updates and your done!

Step 5: Enjoy your new windows 7 partition on your macbook pro/air!

If you have any questions please reply to this thread, I will answer questions and hopefully have solutions to any problems.

jklancer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Actually my macbook pro does have a superdrive and it worked, but this tutorial is for people who want an easier way to install windows without cds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.