PDA

View Full Version : Ibook with Windows?

sammyman
Jan 8, 2006, 04:41 PM
I need to use windows for a few work programs, and heard that when the new ibooks or powerbooks come out that they can be formatted to have two operating systems. Is this just a rumor? Or is it very likely to be true?

Thanks

mkrishnan
Jan 8, 2006, 04:44 PM
I need to use windows for a few work programs, and heard that when the new ibooks or powerbooks come out that they can be formatted to have two operating systems. Is this just a rumor? Or is it very likely to be true?

Very likely to be true. Even more likely to be unsupported. In fact the odds of getting support from anyone will be astronomical. So, although you'll be able to get help (probably) places like here, you'll be doing it at your own risk.

MS *might* release a revised VirtualPC for a Mac with an Intel processor. If they did, the performance of this should be fairly comparable to a Windows computer, because of the change in hardware. That would probably be relatively easy to use.

rockthecasbah
Jan 8, 2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks
well i mean if they are Microsoft programs like Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc they have MS Office for Macs, but putting windows on Apples as far as i know is a rumor...you can make it dual bootable with Linux, but i don't think you can with Windows.

BlueRevolution
Jan 8, 2006, 06:02 PM
MS *might* release a revised VirtualPC for a Mac with an Intel processor. If they did, the performance of this should be fairly comparable to a Windows computer, because of the change in hardware. That would probably be relatively easy to use.

we'll have to wait a couple years for that. just look at how long it took for them to release VPC 7 after the G5 came out! (VPC 6 broke on the G5.)

blackstone
Jan 8, 2006, 06:05 PM
well i mean if they are Microsoft programs like Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc they have MS Office for Macs, but putting windows on Apples as far as i know is a rumor...you can make it dual bootable with Linux, but i don't think you can with Windows.

If the Intel Macs will be able to boot up in Linux, then they will also be able to boot up in Windows.Maybe you're thinking of the situation with the current PPC Macs, which can dual-boot certain flavors of Linux (the ones that have been compiled for PPC processors), but can't boot Windows (compiled only for x86 processors) and can't boot the flavors of Linux that are compiled only for x86 (e.g. Red Hat)?

mkrishnan
Jan 8, 2006, 06:56 PM
we'll have to wait a couple years for that. just look at how long it took for them to release VPC 7 after the G5 came out! (VPC 6 broke on the G5.)

Yeah.... probably. :rolleyes: By that time, though, DarWINE might be running on OS X on an Intel, and doing some cool stuff! :D One can dream, right?