Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Animations have stopped working in the official weather app for me after updating to 7.1. What gives?

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I had reduce motion enabled before the update too but animations in the weather app worked fine! That sucks! We should have had an option what to enable and disable

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
That's what I'm saying. We need those animations back. But we don't want that parallax effect!

Give us the option to turn on independently goddamnit Apple!

----------

The nice little springy bounce at the top or bottom of your message list disappears if turn Reduce Motion - On :(

Do you mean imessage? Where's that animation?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
We should be able to have weather animations without having any other animations, and certainly without parallax being on. Weather animations are part of the weather app FFS!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Unless I'm just totally misunderstanding the complaints here, you can have the animations without the parallax effect. Just make sure that Reduce Motion is turned off and that when you set your Wallpaper that Perspective Zoom is set to off. Either way, that's the closest you're going to get to what you're wanting anyway.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Unless I'm just totally misunderstanding the complaints here, you can have the animations without the parallax effect. Just make sure that Reduce Motion is turned off and that when you set your Wallpaper that Perspective Zoom is set to off. Either way, that's the closest you're going to get to what you're wanting anyway.

The icons to still move a little bit did you notice that?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
The icons to still move a little bit did you notice that?

Now that I check, yes it appears that they are ever so slightly. It's barely enough for me to even notice unless I'm specifically looking for it though for sure.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Parallax makes me feel seasick and it also drains my battery unnecessarily. I don't want it switched on, but I *do* want my weather animations!

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
That's what I'm saying. We need those animations back. But we don't want that parallax effect!

----------

Do you mean imessage? Where's that animation?

iMessage OR Message. Both of them have a little bounce when you scroll up or don and hit the first/last message.
Subtle, but pleasing.

My battery drain is so bad with Reduce Motion off that I've had to give up all of the little nice touches we had in 7.0.6 :(
(except the lock screen wallpaper soon, which is there all the time!!)

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Parallax makes me feel seasick and it also drains my battery unnecessarily. I don't want it switched on, but I *do* want my weather animations!

It has no affect on battery life.

----------

iMessage OR Message. Both of them have a little bounce when you scroll up or don and hit the first/last message.
Subtle, but pleasing.

My battery drain is so bad with Reduce Motion off that I've had to give up all of the little nice touches we had in 7.0.6 :(

Your battery drain isn't anything to do with animations as they have no/very minimal affect on battery life. Sounds more like it's something else that's consuming your battery power.

The ability to turn off perspective zoom greatly decreases the parallax affect. Only the icons move slightly, which is hardly noticeable. All other animations stay the same.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

----------

Your battery drain isn't anything to do with animations as they have no/very minimal affect on battery life. Sounds more like it's something else that's consuming your battery power.

The ability to turn off perspective zoom greatly decreases the parallax affect. Only the icons move slightly, which is hardly noticeable. All other animations stay the same.

Many settings drain the battery. Certain handsets are prone to a major drain with iOS7 anyway and it is recommended that every unnecessary setting is toggled off, parallax being one of these.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts

----------

I bow to your better knowledge as opposed to my direct experience

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

they did.

when setting your wallpaper, turn perspective zoom off. that way you have all the animations minus parralax (there's still a very slight paralax but only noticeable if you look for it).

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I highly doubt the animations are causing severe battery drain.

Not severe but when the o/s itself is already causing severe drain on certain handsets (iphone5 anyone?), then every little bit helps. Certain settings cause around 15 mins of drain per charging cycle.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
they did.

when setting your wallpaper, turn perspective zoom off. that way you have all the animations minus parralax (there's still a very slight paralax but only noticeable if you look for it).

You're right! That's my problem. Why would Apple still give a slight parallax even if the perspective zoom is off?? This doesn't make sense. It drains battery a little by calculating how the icons move. It's just very illogical.

----------

Subtle, but pleasing.

I don't know about the battery drain. It will maybe cause a little drain if not a lot. I notice that if you turn on Reduce Motion, you will lose every single animation that is available on the iDevice.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I hate the animations when opening and closing apps, that is the no.1 reason why I have reduce motion toggled. I also want to conserve as much battery life as possible.
I DO however want the weather app to be animated and I can take or leave the messages app bouncing etc.
It seems that Apple have listened to the small minority who voiced disapproval of the animations and we now have a single choice of ALL on, or ALL off. That's just barmy! Do these people not like anything to move at all? How do they deal with driving, or watching television?
I sure hope that Apple reintroduce animations in the weather app if reduce motion is toggled on.
I much preferred the animation settings prior to 7.1 and as for the perspective zoom, it doesn't seem to do a whole lot to me.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Really don't see what was wrong with leaving it as it was.
Parallax off, zoom icons off, but weather animations still on, along with the Messages bounce!

Deliberately now we have less choice. That 1984 Apple advert is getting closer all the time!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Really don't see what was wrong with leaving it as it was.
Parallax off, zoom icons off, but weather animations still on, along with the Messages bounce!

Deliberately now we have less choice. That 1984 Apple advert is getting closer all the time!

I agree.
7.0.4 worked much better for me and I don't see many positives to 7.1, other than the security issue attended to in 7.0.6 and the slight reduction in low memory Safari crashes/page reloads. Nothing has been 100% fixed and yet some animation options have been removed from us. Strange update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.