Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacUnsure

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern US
I am considering a mac mini server to connect to my 21.5 using Firewire my question is could just purchase the regular mac mini and install server OS X on it?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am considering a mac mini server to connect to my 21.5 using Firewire my question is could just purchase the regular mac mini and install server OS X on it?

If you're just connecting a computer via firewire, why not save a bunch of money and buy an external disk instead?

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong

No reason why not, but they would both be connected to your network via ethernet or wireless anyway?

You can always add another hard drive and ram later if you get a basic spec mini.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
my question is could just purchase the regular mac mini and install server OS X on it?

Yes, assuming the same hardware, buying mavericks server separately gives an equivalent result. It also make installation for remote use, easier, since it will be available for free DL from your Mac App Store account.

iMacUnsure

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern US
Responses like this are what keep people from answering your question. Good job.

Well its a funny frigging thing to me that several others who have responded know what the hell I am saying....What am I writing in Greek?

----------

Hmmmm... Your question, IMO, is ambiguous and unclear. Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote and edit it for clarity.

Cheers,

Same as above......

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Simple answer - yes...
However, server is just additions to the software giving you a GUI to more easily set up the software that is already there in the client version. Someone who knows their way around the terminal can basically do everything that the OS X server software does.

And, the other (crap) answers are, IMHO, pointing out that adding a hard drive (extra storage) would likely be more efficient than adding a server to your network. But, then that's where the confusing part comes in. Connecting computers through firewire is somewhat limited compared to ethernet, or even wifi - as that's essentially a local connection, and not on your full network.
Hence, though your first post appears clear enough - it begs the question why you think you need OS X server at all. And - that's where I think the remarks come from.

iMacUnsure

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern US
Nope, in ***hole.

Oh well, go back to school and learn the language.

Simple answer - yes...
However, server is just additions to the software giving you a GUI to more easily set up the software that is already there in the client version. Someone who knows their way around the terminal can basically do everything that the OS X server software does.

And, the other (crap) answers are, IMHO, pointing out that adding a hard drive (extra storage) would likely be more efficient than adding a server to your network. But, then that's where the confusing part comes in. Connecting computers through firewire is somewhat limited compared to ethernet, or even wifi - as that's essentially a local connection, and not on your full network.
Hence, though your first post appears clear enough - it begs the question why you think you need OS X server at all. And - that's where I think the remarks come from.

I have an external drive connected. Is it possible to install it to that drive?

----------

I never really understood why people who obviously don't have a clue are an ass to those that they are asking for help.

It ain't no big deal. Some are just better at starting flame wars than others. I thought this forum was for asking questions and getting help but obviously I was wrong. Next time I will just ask Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.