Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
How do I switch this off?
In the privacy section, under location services, I have the camera toggle off and yet the GPS location icon comes up every time I open the camera app and remains for a few seconds after I close the app.
For privacy, and mainly battery saving reasons, how do I switch this feature off? Is it even possible?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
that's weird maybe it is another app using the location services. did you reset the phone?

i have noticed since 7.1 that some apps keep using my location services even after i kill the apps

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
that's weird maybe it is another app using the location services. did you reset the phone?

i have noticed since 7.1 that some apps keep using my location services even after i kill the apps

It is definitely the camera app. I have the camera toggle off in location services (only my satnav and Google maps have the toggle on) and yet the damned icon comes on. If I switch location services off completely then it doesn't come on, but that is no fix.

----------

I call hacks

What do you mean?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
After spending some time with this, I can see how to make this bug appear. If I switch my location services off for the camera and then off for everything (master toggle), no location service icon displays when I open and then close the camera app.
If I then switch the master toggle for location services back on, and open & close the camera app, the location icon is not displayed. Result.
HOWEVER, if I open another app which uses location services, such as maps, and then close it again, wait for the location icon to disappear and then open and close the camera app again, the location services GPS icon is displayed once more.
This is quite obviously a bug and a fresh installation has not cured it.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
How do I switch this off?
In the privacy section, under location services, I have the camera toggle off and yet the GPS location icon comes up every time I open the camera app and remains for a few seconds after I close the app.
For privacy, and mainly battery saving reasons, how do I switch this feature off? Is it even possible?

If you are launching the camera app from Control Center than the weather feature in Control Center is the one requesting your location not the camera app.

IF you are launching the camera app from the spring board and location comes on....well, that I don't know :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
HOWEVER, if I open another app which uses location services, such as maps, and then close it again, wait for the location icon to disappear and then open and close the camera app again, the location services GPS icon is displayed once more.

Which phone do you have? I can't replicate this on my 4S.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
If you are launching the camera app from Control Center than the weather feature in Control Center is the one requesting your location not the camera app.

IF you are launching the camera app from the spring board and location comes on....well, that I don't know :)

I'm opening the camera app via the icon on the homescreen but thanks anyway.

----------

Which phone do you have? I can't replicate this on my 4S.

iPhone 5

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

The weather feature in CC? What is this?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
It could be one of the system services pinging your location. Turn them off and see what happens. They will be at the bottom of the list in the location services.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
It could be one of the system services pinging your location. Turn them off and see what happens. They will be at the bottom of the list in the location services.

It is the compass calibration, that and time zone setting are the two system services that I have switched on. I have always had these two toggled to on, so why has this problem started now?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
It is the compass calibration, that and time zone setting are the two system services that I have switched on. I have always had these two toggled to on, so why has this problem started now?

Could be a bug. Or Apple has changed the way they ping for your location in 7.1 (assuming you have updated to 7.1). Beyond that, it's hard to say why it's happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.