PDA

View Full Version : Nature Shots with A Canon A95

ieani
Jan 8, 2006, 10:12 PM
Here are pictures I took at Cuyahoga Valley National Park here in Northeast Ohio. They were taken with my Canon a95, which is about as close to a DSLR you can get with a standard digital camera. I did not use any lenses or other filters. I only tweaked settings occassionally within the camera's software.

http://photos-962.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474962_9430.jpg

http://photos-647.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474647_4558.jpg

http://photos-654.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474654_7341.jpg

http://photos-649.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474649_5267.jpg

http://photos-650.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474650_5442.jpg

http://photos-655.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474655_7577.jpg

http://photos-656.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474656_7762.jpg

2nyRiggz
Jan 8, 2006, 10:18 PM
where did you take those photos...it looks right out of a horror movie but nice shots

Bless

ieani
Jan 8, 2006, 10:23 PM
where did you take those photos...it looks right out of a horror movie but nice shots

Bless

Cuyahoga Valley National Park along the canals. Its right outside of downtown Cleveland. Thanks for the comment!

noel4r
Jan 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
I have the same camera. It's great for daytime outdoor shots but I have trouble capturing quality shots at night. I should experiment more w/ the settings.

ieani
Jan 8, 2006, 10:57 PM
I have the same camera. It's great for daytime outdoor shots but I have trouble capturing quality shots at night. I should experiment more w/ the settings.

In low light. I overexpose a notch or two, set the white balance to Flourescent, keep the ISO high, and have the picture effect set to Vivid.

Stampyhead
Jan 8, 2006, 11:34 PM
Nice photos. I used to visit that park back in my college days. Ah, memories...

adk
Jan 9, 2006, 12:54 AM
I don't mean to be a jerk, but we photographers are an anal bunch. So take this as constructive criticism. The first and second ones aren't bad, but the rest are too busy in the background - they distract the eye too much from the focal point. Just keep taking pictures, you'll improve.

ieani
Jan 9, 2006, 02:32 AM
I don't mean to be a jerk, but we photographers are an anal bunch. So take this as constructive criticism. The first and second ones aren't bad, but the rest are too busy in the background - they distract the eye too much from the focal point. Just keep taking pictures, you'll improve.

No, thanks! I do not mind criticism at all. I agree with them being busy except picture 5. Or maybe its because its my favorite of the bunch.

ieani
Jan 9, 2006, 02:33 AM
Nice photos. I used to visit that park back in my college days. Ah, memories...

What college did you attend?

Abstract
Jan 9, 2006, 08:23 AM
In low light. I overexpose a notch or two, set the white balance to Flourescent, keep the ISO high, and have the picture effect set to Vivid.

Meh, don't worry. I used to have an A60 and when taking night shots, I set the exposure compensation down (yes, down), keep the ISO high (but not the highest), and set the exposure for longer to compensate for my "undercompensating" on exposure. I did that to keep my sky black if it was black. But don't listen to me, as I'm on Level 1 on trying to learn about photography and don't even know what I'm doing, and that includes ev.......well, read my sig.

http://photos-655.facebook.com/n9/3205/112/12432993/n12432993_30474655_7577.jpg

Is this where you hid the body?

Stampyhead
Jan 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
What college did you attend?
I went to Oberlin College, about 45 min. outside of Cleveland, but my friends and I would head up to Cleveland whenever we could get our hands on a car. Not much to do in a small town like Oberlin...

ITASOR
Jan 11, 2006, 07:09 PM

I understand your photographical points, and I think they're good, if you're in a studio, but if you're outside...if he wants to take a picture of a tree...how can you avoid having a had background? You're in the woods...

I really like the pictures, actually. They're awesome.

belvdr
Jan 11, 2006, 07:30 PM
I really like #4 with the small lake and the trail. Has reflections, the sky, leaves... Nice photo.

hcuar
Jan 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
I'd recommend enhancing the color... perhaps warmer?

The color shots look a little blah.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
Cuyahoga Valley National Park along the canals. Its right outside of downtown Cleveland. Thanks for the comment!

Man, there is much that I missed in visiting Cleveland a few years ago!

When were this pictures taken? I mean you still have color this time of year?

I see lots of long term possibilities for that tree shot (#2 and #7).

iBlue
Jan 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
do you have a full size version you'd be willing to post of this one?

i really like that! (i think they all look great by the way)

ieani
Jan 11, 2006, 11:52 PM
I went to Oberlin College, about 45 min. outside of Cleveland, but my friends and I would head up to Cleveland whenever we could get our hands on a car. Not much to do in a small town like Oberlin...

A friend of mine went there, his brother is also there right now.

I understand your photographical points, and I think they're good, if you're in a studio, but if you're outside...if he wants to take a picture of a tree...how can you avoid having a had background? You're in the woods...

I really like the pictures, actually. They're awesome.

Thanks! Means a lot!

I really like #4 with the small lake and the trail. Has reflections, the sky, leaves... Nice photo.

Its actually a canal(man made) and I really hope I didnt come across too smart! I wasnt trying to. Thanks for the compliments though, much appreciated!

I'd recommend enhancing the color... perhaps warmer?

The color shots look a little blah.

And someone from Iowa definitely knows blah when they see it. :)

Man, there is much that I missed in visiting Cleveland a few years ago!

When were this pictures taken? I mean you still have color this time of year?

I see lots of long term possibilities for that tree shot (#2 and #7).

Im considering having an 8X10 of the black and white one made. Still deciding though. I need to get down there after a snowfall. EDIT: Pictures were taken in late October, so a little over 2 months ago.

ieani
Jan 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
do you have a full size version you'd be willing to post of this one?

i really like that! (i think they all look great by the way)

Here you go. Thanks for looking!

ieani
Jan 12, 2006, 06:29 PM
I took over 400 pictures during my two weeks in Europe last September. Here is a link to some of those: http://www.bugbitten.com/photogallery/showalbum.php?sf=1&uuid=6360&aid=28970

Right now only Ireland is up and then only a few have captions but Im working on it. London should hopefully be up in a few days if anyone is interested. Heres a preview:

cslewis
Jan 12, 2006, 07:16 PM
Go back during July and take the same pictures. It would be neat to see how the seasons change.

Mechcozmo
Jan 12, 2006, 07:43 PM
Those are nice pictures. I like the last one; reminded me a bit of fingers. But I wouldn't call the A95 a DSLR... a high-end point and shoot, but not a DSLR. (Not to say the A95 is a bad camera or anything. I looked at the S2 IS and the A95 along with a number of other models a while back and the S2 IS won because of the DSLR features. Then my uncle bought an E20D :mad: but he lets me 'play' with it. Enough of a sidetrack.)

Here's a couple of an orange tree I took in the Old City of Jerusalem with my Canon S2 IS. Just felt like sharing 'em. No filters here either; the B&W+Orange one was done with a special color mode on the camera.

ieani
Jan 12, 2006, 09:34 PM
Those are nice pictures. I like the last one; reminded me a bit of fingers. But I wouldn't call the A95 a DSLR... a high-end point and shoot, but not a DSLR. (Not to say the A95 is a bad camera or anything. I looked at the S2 IS and the A95 along with a number of other models a while back and the S2 IS won because of the DSLR features. Then my uncle bought an E20D :mad: but he lets me 'play' with it. Enough of a sidetrack.)

Here's a couple of an orange tree I took in the Old City of Jerusalem with my Canon S2 IS. Just felt like sharing 'em. No filters here either; the B&W+Orange one was done with a special color mode on the camera.

Oh I know its not a DSLR, I just posted that its "as close to a DSLR you can get with a standard digital camera"

I want to eventually upgrade to the Rebel Xt.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 12, 2006, 09:44 PM

Both are really great shots....

Mechcozmo
Jan 13, 2006, 12:47 AM
Oh I know its not a DSLR, I just posted that its "as close to a DSLR you can get with a standard digital camera"

I want to eventually upgrade to the Rebel Xt.

Those Rebels are nice cameras. I was looking at those too but lots of money I don't have. Kinda big too but nice features and quality.

Both are really great shots....

Thanks. If I get my FTP server back up and running (Pure-FTPd Manager is being a pain) I'll share some more with you guys and gals in the photography forum.

Abstract
Jan 13, 2006, 02:12 AM
How did you get the "orange/gold" colour behind the chair to show up without the chair in front appearing in colour as well?

And how did the camera do that without you PS'ing it?

Mechcozmo
Jan 14, 2006, 11:19 PM
How did you get the "orange/gold" colour behind the chair to show up without the chair in front appearing in colour as well?

And how did the camera do that without you PS'ing it?

That's the color the camera picked up. The chair didn't match that color, so it was B&W'ed. The background was of the right color and so chosen to be like that.

The Camera has a "My Colors" mode which lets me choose a color and then ONLY capture that color (you can adjust +/- a certain amount... I think I chose the oranges and then told it to +2 which let me get the background stuff). It doesn't let me chose more 'manual' settings but it takes great pictures in that automatic setting anyway.

Abstract
Jan 14, 2006, 11:54 PM
Ah, sweet dude. My A60 could have never done that.

I thought you were the Photoshop masta or something........you know, "surgeon hands."

Mechcozmo
Jan 15, 2006, 03:11 AM
Ah, sweet dude. My A60 could have never done that.

I thought you were the Photoshop masta or something........you know, "surgeon hands."

I wish I could do that in Photoshop... but perhaps I did inherit 'surgeon hands'.
My dad is a General Surgeon which means that in all of my bio labs so far I've been the one to use the scalpel in dissections...:rolleyes: they don't know what they're missing.

ieani
Jan 15, 2006, 10:20 AM
That's the color the camera picked up. The chair didn't match that color, so it was B&W'ed. The background was of the right color and so chosen to be like that.

The Camera has a "My Colors" mode which lets me choose a color and then ONLY capture that color (you can adjust +/- a certain amount... I think I chose the oranges and then told it to +2 which let me get the background stuff). It doesn't let me chose more 'manual' settings but it takes great pictures in that automatic setting anyway.

Thats an awesome feature. It sounds like it uses some kind of digital filters to filter out all other colors. What camera do you have again?

UMHurricanes34
Jan 15, 2006, 11:01 AM

Bless
Yea, the first thought that popped into my head was Blair Witch Project...great pics.

Mechcozmo
Jan 15, 2006, 04:28 PM
Thats an awesome feature. It sounds like it uses some kind of digital filters to filter out all other colors. What camera do you have again?

Canon Powershot S2 IS

It's a great blend of SLR capabilities and quality with size. 5 MP, 12x Optical, Stabilized Lens. The Ultra II SD cards help a lot, too. The buffer only stretches so far...

ieani
Jan 15, 2006, 11:57 PM
Canon Powershot S2 IS

It's a great blend of SLR capabilities and quality with size. 5 MP, 12x Optical, Stabilized Lens. The Ultra II SD cards help a lot, too. The buffer only stretches so far...

Nice camera but too bulky for me since I use mine primarily during travel. I would definitely need a second camera if I was to ever get an SLR.