Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmike100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
For the past few days, every single time I try to sync my iPod it causes a kernel panic in OSX (that scary screen that freezes everything and says I must restart). Also, after restarting, a window pops up saying "The computer was restarted after Mac OS X quit unexpectedly." The two buttons are Report... and OK. However, clicking Report never does anything but make the window disappear.

The kernel panic always appears right after iTunes starts to sync then gives the message that my iPod is full so not all songs could be copied. I have the latest versions of everything. I don't remember exactly, but I suppose the problem started when I filled up my iPod. Incidentally, the last few songs I added that filled it up were rips from a CD audiobook that I converted to .m4b with an applescript, if that's important at all.

Any ideas about how to fix this?

Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Seems similar to this which is strange because as I said in that thread, iPods can take systems down (freeze) but it's rare for them to cause a kernel panic. I wonder if it's an iPod issue or a Mac issue.

Do other devices work with the port you're using for the iPod? Have you tried restoring the iPod firmware (I realise it's the latest, but a refresh may do it some good). Of course, restoring a iPod loses all it's data so make sure there's nothing on there that you may be wanting/needing.

Also, is your iPod otherwise behaving normally? :)

mcmike100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the reply. Yes, every other device I've tried works fine. My iPod is behaving completely normally otherwise. Ok, if no one can give me any other suggestion, then I'll try restoring it as a last resort.

Thanks!

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
I had a similar problem a while ago, the computer would kernel panic every time i plugged in my ipod. in the end i fixed it by starting up using the mac OS X install cd, then plugging in the ipod and doing a repair of it's hard drive a few times. beyond that you may have to restore the ipod firmware like mad jew suggested.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's a really good idea aplasticspork. You can use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder to repair the disk rather than start from an OSX CD though. It'll be the latest version. Try this before restoring the firmware. :)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
mad jew said:
That's a really good idea aplasticspork. You can use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder to repair the disk rather than start from an OSX CD though. It'll be the latest version. Try this before restoring the firmware. :)
But wouldn't that require plugging the iPod in beforehand? That wouldn't work if the iPod is set for auto-update. I suppose if you quit iTunes before plugging it in, and the force quit it when it tried to open, you could avoid the KP if the actual syncing is the problem.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Hey.
I wanted to ressurect this thread because I had my first kernel panic today (I feel so violated) while trying to auto-update my ipod. I usually leave it on manual, but any time I add music to my itunes library I switch it to auto temporarily to make sure they match up.
Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that I'm almost positive that today was the first time I tried to auto update since I've updated to itunes 6.02. Anyone else with a similar experience? Will 6.03 likely fix it, or should I go ahead and erase & restore the ipod?
Thanks.
By the way, both imac and ipod are functioning normally when they are apart. I guess they're fighting right now.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mopppish, why not leave it constantly on automatic sync? I don't think a firmware restore would hurt, so maybe give that a go. I haven't heard massive amounts of complaints about kernel panics dues to the current iTunes so I'm not sure that 6.0.3 will necessarily help. If anything, it may be worthwhile going back to an earlier version assuming the restore does nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.