Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkdaisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
I updated my iPad Air when the iOS 7.1 update came out and I had my safari browser open with about 10 tabs. After the update my safari browser will not respond. When I open it, it's blank and shows no tabs and I have to hit the home button to get it to respond. The browser will reopen then close. I have also noticed when I look at the apps that are open, I can see that I have tabs open to websites in safari but as soon as I click on it, there is no response.

I contacted apple support and I have reset my iPad and restored it from my iCloud. The only thing I have not done is to wipe it and restore from my iTunes because I am lazy and don't want too. I haven't done the update on my iPhone 5s or my husbands iPhone 5c and iPad mini because we are worried it could happen again. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks for your help.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
If you don't do a restore from iTunes then what else can you do but send it back to Apple. They'll probably do a restore from iTunes. Maybe if you take it to an Apple Store they'll just swap it out for a new one, but then you are back to iTunes to set it up. See what I'm getting at? I recommend setting it up as new after the restore as well, just to be sure the glitch doesn't replicate. I sympathize with your lack of enthusiasm for the task, but it's worth it. How much more time do you want to spend pondering this?

Pinkdaisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Why do you think

I updated the software on my 5s and safari isn't working on my iPhone now. Do you think it's something with my iTunes account?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Sounds like there is a problem with your account. Make sure Safari is on in iCloud in settings for all your devices, including the your Mac if that's what you have. Have you tried signing out of your account on the iPad and iPhone and seeing if the problem persists? Did you do an OTA upgrade on the 5S? So many questions...

Pinkdaisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
No Mac

I only have an iPad and an iPhone and I did the upgrade OTA. I haven't signed out of my account yet but I will try that. I am on chat with apple support now.

Pinkdaisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Just thought I would let you know that I restored my iPad from iTunes and safari still does not work. It has improved since the restore. It will load a webpage now but it takes about 10 minutes to load one page and it will not let me open more than one tab. The closest apple store is 2 hours away but thankfully I am going to the city Monday. Apple support told me to take both my iPhone and iPad in for a replacement. I just had my 5S replaced free on Feb 14 because my camera wasn't working. Support isn't sure what the issue is since the complete restore did not solve my issue. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Pinkdaisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Well my issue is now resolved because I just didn't want to deal with it at the apple store. I set up my iPad as new and safari worked so I got back on chat with apple and we started deleting apps to see of any of them were messing with safari. The rep out of the blue asked me if I had my safari data backed up in my iCloud settings. I did and as soon as I turned it off on my iPhone 5s, safari started to work. I restored my iPad and turned off that setting in my iCloud on the iPad and safari works now! They told me to leave it off and they would escalate the issue to fix it in the next update.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I asked this just now in another thread, did you update originally OTA? If so this can cause issues for some.

Edit:

Missed your last post, sadly enough the problem is replicable.

Pinkdaisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
I did upgrade OTA but the apple rep didn't think it was that, that caused the issue because I did reinstall iOS 7 from iTunes and it still didn't work. It's a problem with safari bookmarks in the new iOS. I have turned them off in my iCloud and everything is fine now. What a huge PITA though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.