Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Prob so. You can turn off ALL the system settings in the location services as they are not needed and will also improve battery life. The freq locations and time zone are 2 that have been known to reduce batt life. The auto set time in the clock settings u can leave on and will keep the date and time sync'ed

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Prob so. You can turn off ALL the system settings in the location services as they are not needed and will also improve battery life. The freq locations and time zone are 2 that have been known to reduce batt life. The auto set time in the clock settings u can leave on and will keep the date and time sync'ed

I have everything turned off in location services except maps, my Tom Tom satnav, compass calibration and setting time zone. Due to bugs and battery drain I now have to switch two more settings off. What irks me most about all of this is that with iOS7 I have more settings switched off than I did with iOS6, and yet still my battery life is nowhere near as good. The 'upgrade' to iOS7 has left me with less functionality and also less battery life. What exactly did I gain from this 'update' other than a lot of white screens and playschool colours? It must be said that I don't mind the look and UI of iOS7, I'm not a hater because Apple has changed the look, I'm a hater because my phone just plain isn't as good as it used to be.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I have everything turned off in location services except maps, my Tom Tom satnav, compass calibration and setting time zone. Due to bugs and battery drain I now have to switch two more settings off. What irks me most about all of this is that with iOS7 I have more settings switched off than I did with iOS6, and yet still my battery life is nowhere near as good. The 'upgrade' to iOS7 has left me with less functionality and also less battery life. What exactly did I gain from this 'update' other than a lot of white screens and playschool colours? It must be said that I don't mind the look and UI of iOS7, I'm not a hater because Apple has changed the look, I'm a hater because my phone just plain isn't as good as it used to be.

No, not suggesting turning off all settings. The "system services" are what I am referring to. Those are not items that you need as basically are crowd sourcing data for Apple. The time zone option in there is not needed either typically. Your carrier should keep your time updated using the data/time setting for auto time set. I suppose if you are constantly traveling all day long across time zones that may be of some use, but I doubt it.

You have more to switch off because there are more features. So if you were happy with iOS6 NOT updating your apps automatically, turn it off. Or not background refreshing other apps, turn that off too. Also monitoring your every move, you really need that? if not turn off frequent locations (again u didnt have that in iOS6) All theses new features come at some expense. So turning off those items that you didnt have with iOS6 should not be missed if you were happy with iOS6 as it was. I can say with 100% certainty that an old 4s is running just as well with 7.1 as it ever has. In fact it came out of box over 2 yrs ago with iOS5 and the battery is double better now than it was then. Of course with making some adjustments to crap I dont need or use has helped as well but point being is a 2.5 yr old battery is WAY better with iOS 7.1 than it was out of box new with iOS5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.