Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Hello. I'm brand new to this site. I came here hoping someone could help me set up a partition of Windows 7 for my Mac. I currently don't have a physical disk of Windows 7. Through my school, I was able to download a digital copy of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 32bit. I know that its not the full version of Windows, but according to this thread you can get Windows 7 with just the upgrade disk. I'm hoping to put the upgrade file I downloaded onto a flash drive and then use that to install Windows 7. If you have any knowledge on how to do this, please help. :)

Here is my MPB info:

2.3 GHz i5
4GB DDR3

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
You install Windows 7 Professional as a trial than you upgrade it with your disk and serial. I don't know if they closed that loop to do that.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
You install Windows 7 Professional as a trial than you upgrade it with your disk and serial. I don't know if they closed that loop to do that.

Can you walk me through how I would do this? Btw, this is the name of the file I have: English_Windows_7_Professional_SP1_W32_X17-59183.iso

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
All you do is install the Pro version with no serial than go into Windows when its finished installing and do an upgrade installation and put in your serial. But as I said I don't know if Microsoft closed that loop.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
All you do is install the Pro version with no serial than go into Windows when its finished installing and do an upgrade installation and put in your serial. But as I said I don't know if Microsoft closed that loop.

Where do I get the Pro version?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I'm a bit confused. I said I didn't have a physical CD. I just have a digital copy of the upgrade on a flash drive.

read the name of your ISO, you already have the pro.

start boot camp assistant and follow the directions, it is very easy.

does your MBP have a DVD slot? if so, then, we have a problem.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I'm a bit confused. I said I didn't have a physical CD. I just have a digital copy of the upgrade on a flash drive.

There's your problem. If your Mac has a SuperDrive, you need to burn the image to a DVD and boot from that.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
There's your problem. If your Mac has a SuperDrive, you need to burn the image to a DVD and boot from that.

Idk if it has a SuperDrive but I did notice while running BootCamp assistant it didnt say anything about having a USB and said to 'insert disk now'.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
UPDATE: So I got the file onto a DVD and I get to the 'installing windows' part but it gets stuck at Expanding Windows Files (0%)

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
UPDATE: So I got the file onto a DVD and I get to the 'installing windows' part but it gets stuck at Expanding Windows Files (0%)

Hi how long have you waited for the Expanding files to start? It could start right away or it might take a while for that to happen.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Hi how long have you waited for the Expanding files to start? It could start right away or it might take a while for that to happen.

I ended up having to burn another DVD with Windows 7 on it but this time I burned it a 2.4 (idk what the units are) and I got it installed. Thanks for your help. :):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.