Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soundbase

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Currently at work I am having problems clicking on the links that the PC users are sending me. I get an error message saying that the address couldn't be accessed. I was wondering if there was an easy way to access these. I know the problem is that these are Windows Shares (SMB shares), but it would be great if there was an easier way to access them form the Mac side. Let me describe the situation and see if there is a better way to access the shares. The PC's and Macs are on an Exchange server, and we all using S Outlook connected to our exchange user accounts.

What happens is that the PC users are navigating to a path on a server, they are then copying this address in the Explorer bar and pasting it in an email. When another PC user gets the email they can click on the link and it will take them to the required location.

On the Mac side it isn't as easy. I need to copy the link. Then go to Finder->Connect To Server. I think paste the address. I then need to add smb:// in front of the pasted address, and then I need to go and change all the \'s to /'s.

I wish there was an easier way so that I can just click the link in MS Outlook and it resolves the smb and backslash/forwardslash and takes me straight to the link.

Does anyone know how to does this, or maybe an app/applescript that can be run to do this. It would really be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.