PDA

View Full Version : iBook battery only charge to 68% (12", 1GHz)

ZLurker
Jan 9, 2006, 10:15 AM
Hi there!
My iBooks battery is totaly giving up on me.
Its 20 months old and ive used it every day since i bought it.
For the first 12-16 months i charged and discharged the battery on an atleast weekly basis. But the last couple of months iv only done it monthly.
This last holiday spelled doom for my battery. In a very short time the capasity is down to less than 2h, after a full charge.
The odd thing is it stops charging at about 68-72%.
I've tried recalibrating the battery but without success.
I have no idea what is happening....

Any clues?

And... yea.... i do not have AppleCare....

Gratefull for feedback!

mad jew
Jan 9, 2006, 07:06 PM
Try resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) and then calibrating it again. Just out of interest, when you discharge, do you keep it unplugged until it falls asleep or do you plug it back in when the warning comes up? :)

slb
Jan 13, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm experiencing the same issue in my 12", 1Ghz iBook. The battery only charges to 55%, and then the power plug changes to green. I've calibrated the battery twice and reset the power manager to no avail. The battery menu says "Calculating... until full," but if I go to Energy Saver, it tells me 55% charge.

This behavior seems to have started happening recently but I don't know exactly when.

Morn
Jan 14, 2006, 03:03 AM
Get a new battery.

YS2003
Jan 14, 2006, 06:31 AM
If you can check how many re-charge cycles your battery has gone through, you can determin it your batter is a goner. Check "About This Mac" and choose "More Info...." I think around 500 cycles are normal longevity of the battery.