Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Hi all,

Just thought I would share my excellent experience with the Apple Store with a battery replacement on my Oct 11’ MBA, for no other reason than it impressed me.

I've rather mis-treated my little notebook and for the past two years have been mostly using it stuck under my TV as a 24/7 media server. it had totted up 260 loadcycles and was down to 54% health according to coconut battery.

This is a warning to all of you! Use your battery, drain the thing! I tried intermittently (every month or so) to do a full cycle, but it seems to have done no good when it’s being used all day, every day.

Anyway, I thought I should give my Mac a bit of TLC and replace this stagnant battery (plus the battery meter was telling me to service it) so I decided to drag it into my local Apple Store and get it replaced. I knew full well that the battery depletion was my own fault so I didn't expect any freebies from them. I didn't elaborate on my usage patterns to them though. In any case they did the standard run of tests and obviously it gave a fail for the battery. To my surprise though, it stated the battery was covered by Applecare and they replaced it and gave it back to me within 6 hours – free of charge! I'm thoroughly impressed and appreciative to them.

Suffice to say I won’t be abusing the MBA in the same way any more and am looking to get a Mac mini to pop under my TV now. Just waiting for the update …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.