Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Anyone using this? Does it actually do anything different to just reducing the brightness of the screen?

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
Anyone using this? Does it actually do anything different to just reducing the brightness of the screen?

Just dulls the screen. I particularly like it on my iPad Air because on one side of the screen it gradually fades into a yellow tint...with the reduce white point enabled, it's harder to notice it.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Just dulls the screen. I particularly like it on my iPad Air because on one side of the screen it gradually fades into a yellow tint...with the reduce white point enabled, it's harder to notice it.

And just reducing brightness doesn't achieve the same result?

I also assume that a higher brightness setting with reduce white point set will affect battery more than just using a lower brightness setting?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
And just reducing brightness doesn't achieve the same result?

I also assume that a higher brightness setting with reduce white point set will affect battery more than just using a lower brightness setting?

Reducing white point doesn't change the brightness of your screen, it adjusts the colors.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Reducing white point doesn't change the brightness of your screen, it adjusts the colors.

I appreciate what it does, I just can't see any visual difference between using it and using a lower brightness

May just be my old eyes lol.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I do not use it b.c it does what you said, dims the display. I do use the "darken colors" option though.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
No, because that poster is incorrect. It doesn't dim the display.

It dims the white parts but leaves the colors and the dark parts of the screen alone. If you dim the display it darkens all of those things too.

Partially correct. Reducing the white point reduces the maximum values of a pixel. So if a pixel could have a range of 0-255 for each of the three colors, where 255 on all three produces white, then reducing it might make the maximum 230.

When this is applied, it impacts the brighter end proportionally more than the darker end, but it still does affect the entire spectrum, except for black or very very near it.

This differs from reducing the brightness as that reduces the LED backlighting. Reducing white point should be used secondary to reducing the LED brightness because it effectively reduces contrast.

It can help in dark situations, although inverting colors is still much easier on the eyes.

Reactions: gaanee

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
All these games to make the screen darker. Whats needed is a way to adjust the min/max on the brightness slider. I don't go above 50% unless outside in the day (aka, never), and need to go below 0% any time the sun goes down (aka, often).

Even if they're worried it'll make the screen to dark to use the next day, they could implement a quadruple-press-for-max-brightness recovery.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
All these games to make the screen darker. Whats needed is a way to adjust the min/max on the brightness slider. I don't go above 50% unless outside in the day (aka, never), and need to go below 0% any time the sun goes down (aka, often).

Even if they're worried it'll make the screen to dark to use the next day, they could implement a quadruple-press-for-max-brightness recovery.

So you're a vampire.

Reactions: Shirasaki

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
What they need is for f.lux to actually work without jailbreak. It'd be REALLY nice at night. I have it on my rMBP but when it's late and I put the laptop away and fire up the iPad it's like OH GOD MY EYES.

Reactions: Shirasaki

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
They need to slightly darken the actual color in the background instead of this crazy option. Using reduce white point messes up the color spectrum and reduces contrast. I love the darken colors option, though. The text is easier to see and more aesthetically pleasing.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
What they need is for f.lux to actually work without jailbreak. It'd be REALLY nice at night. I have it on my rMBP but when it's late and I put the laptop away and fire up the iPad it's like OH GOD MY EYES.

This. It's insane that Apple doesn't implement an accessibility version of f.lux!

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
This. It's insane that Apple doesn't implement an accessibility version of f.lux!
x100.
F.lux is the first thing I install, whenever I jailbreak.
Reducing the white point is a good start, but there at least needs to be a slightly warmer option, and a toggle in Control Center.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
x100.
F.lux is the first thing I install, whenever I jailbreak.
Reducing the white point is a good start, but there at least needs to be a slightly warmer option, and a toggle in Control Center.

AGREE! Apple is full of "morning persons" who just have no clue regarding people who are up at night.

Happy to be be with people who get it.

I've been submitting enhancement requests to Apple via the official form.

Many people updated to 7.1 because of the sluggishness of 7.x but are regretting losing jailbreak.

Apple added a tonne of options in iOS 7. In the Forstall era they didn't even do options; taking this change into account, I find it disappointing that a screen temperature option isn't added into the Accessibility menu.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Partially correct. Reducing the white point reduces the maximum values of a pixel. So if a pixel could have a range of 0-255 for each of the three colors, where 255 on all three produces white, then reducing it might make the maximum 230.

When this is applied, it impacts the brighter end proportionally more than the darker end, but it still does affect the entire spectrum, except for black or very very near it.

This differs from reducing the brightness as that reduces the LED backlighting. Reducing white point should be used secondary to reducing the LED brightness because it effectively reduces contrast.

It can help in dark situations, although inverting colors is still much easier on the eyes.
thanks, this is the first explanation of what it does that i've seen :)

timpster

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
I am a night person and still don't like f.lux (have used it on my MBA), so you don't need to be a morning person to dislike it.
May I ask what you don't like about it, I thinks it's WAY too blue without it, maybe try the fluorescent setting at night? (4200k)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.